Lacie 5Big Network 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mknabster, Jun 25, 2012.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

Does anyone have the Lacie 5Big Network 2 in use? I'm planning on purchasing/building a NAS as a backup within my home network and remote access outside for my media center which is windows based. I won't be using any RAID configurations, as i will be doing the backups manually. If i did the Lacie, I was planning on installing a 500GB and 3TB first off with the diskless version, but Lacie said that the same size drives need to be installed in each slot. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with this drive and the features it offers? Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd rather use a Synology NAS. They do support mixed drives even in a RAID (SHR) setup. It'll do everything the Lacie 5big can do plus more.
    http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/lacie-5big-network-2/4505-3382_7-34083886.html
    The DS412+ is excellent (I own one) BUT here's the rub as with ALL dual GigE that support teaming (802.3ad) you'll need a GigE switch that supports it (i.e.: managed, smart) and a computer with dual teaming network cards to see the sort of speed these units can deliver.
    For much less you could get a DS212+ and a pair of 4GB HDDs.
    PS the Atom based Synology NAS's support a PLEX server.

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

What's your opinion on the Synology DS411? I do have Plex running on my current media center but that would be nice, do you know how that works, like is Plex installed on the NAS itself? The reason why i want a NAS is so i can backup the movies and TV shows i don't already have backed up, like all the pictures and music i do have backed up onto Firewire 800 drives through my Mac, but since there are so many movies, i don't have the space needed to have individual hard drives to support it, which is why a NAS seems ideal. I don't want to spend too too much since i still need to buy the drives, which is why the Lacie was intriguing. Now with these Synology units, can i remote in from outside my network and backup my files that way too? I'm a newbie when it comes to servers and such, so this would be a nice learning experience for me in itself.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom