lacie 7200rpm thunderbolt drive + time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by halfmonkey, Apr 11, 2013.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I just recently bought a LaCie 7200 rpm 3tb hd with thunderbolt to use with time machine. I was going back and forth with whether or not to get the time capsule or not. I eventually decided not to because 1) the less equipment I have co-mingled, the less likely of major failure. I.E. If the router breaks, I'm not also down the TM or vice versa. 2) the speed of the back up should be faster through thunderbolt vs. ethernet which may be bogged down with internet activity since it's all passing through the same ethernet cable. 3) I don't believe the TC hd is 7200 rpm.

I did my first back up last night and it went smoothly. I actually have it to not automatically back up as I don't necessaily want it to back up every hour. I only want it to back up when I need it so I'm sticking with manually backing it up which basically occurs whenever I load new photos to the computer.

So when I got home from work yesterday, I set it up planning to let it run overnight as many people suggest you do for the first back up since it's backing everything up. When I set it to run at about 4:05pm, it said that it had 281gb of information to back up. I expected this to take a while but it was finished in a little over an hour. Wow! Thunderbolt and 7200rpm are fast!

I'm so glad I went this route. Hopefully, this will last me a while.

2. smellalot macrumors 6502

Great! I just wish I had money to burn like you have. Thunderbolt simply is overkill for a backup drive. Still it's great to hear you're happy with your setup!

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I was just going to say. A single TB drive doesn't really provide any advantage over a single USB 3 drive. It certainly isn't much faster especially when you're just using it for TM purposes. But to each his own.

4. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I think thunderbolt technology is perfect for the back up drive scenario. Afterall, the back up is all about data and what better way to quickly move data than to use thunderbolt or usb 3 for those that have the new imacs.

I have one of the 2011 refresh imacs which still had the firewire 800 ports. I actually have devices already hooked up to the firewire and I use those drives to actually store and back up my video footage from my camcorder. It's not professional footage. It's just video footage of my family and kids but it is AVCHD and I transfer them uncompressed.

The main thing on my computer that uses a bunch of space right now are my photos and eventually, I may move that off the comptuer to an ext hd as well. Now, if I do this, the thunderbolt hd with 7200rpm will be even better for this application due to writing and accessing and transferring the data to the main computer. Hopefully, by then, thunderbolt enabled drives will be a lot cheaper too.

----------

I have the old usb 2.0 on my computer.