LaCie all rugged-terrain drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Mar 1, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know I over spent on buying this at the apple store, (I was there buying the aperture upgrade), and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.

I needed a bus powered portable drive that's fairly resistant to damage from traveling.

I had an OWC portable unit, and the HD crashed. I know I could have used that enclosure but I'm concerned that the drive would crash again.

Thoughts and/or opinions

I think I can still return it, but I'll have to eat the 10% restocking fee. I can get a 500gig drive for around 100 and slap it into the old enclosure or I can live with the LaCie drive for 167.

2. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Take it like a man.... and give it to me :D

I had kept it... don't want to pay the restocking fee and the hassle with shipping and to order another drive.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's kind of where I'm at now. The delta is about 50 bucks when you factor in the restocking fee and 50 bugs is like a dinner for two. Not that big deal right. I'll just tell the wife, I cannot take her out to dinner this weekend because I bought a new hard drive :eek:

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You asked for opinions, here's mine.

Those LaCie Rugged All-Terrains aren't worth the premium and are just a marketing gimmick. It has no more effective environmental protection than half the externals/enclosures out there.

A small Pelican or Otterbox (dustproof/waterproof/crushproof) case is a much better solution for serious environmental/travel conditions than a mere enclosure, which by design, cannot be sealed.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Return it dude, there is no restocking fee on 3rd party stuff.

6. polotska macrumors 6502

Agreed. If you ever take one apart, you'll see that the "ruggedization" is virtually non-existent—the rubber bumper on the outside is all that it amounts to.