LaCie and AFP over WAN... perhaps a deadly combo?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsmrjon, Jul 7, 2011.

1. itsmrjon macrumors regular

Alright, so here it goes, I'll try to explain what I'm attempting to do as best I can...

I have a LaCie Networkspace 2, which supports AFP, UPnP, as well as FTP.
    I am attempting to gracefully connect to it over WAN and mount it as a drive at my work computer (whereas the NAS is at my home).

I set up the port forwarding on my router to point AFP to the LaCie, which all works fine and dandy, so I can connect to the drive through WAN... HOWEVER guest access is enabled. What I mean is, the OpenShare folder is visible to individuals that do not have user accounts on the NAS.

Now this is fine on my LAN, but a HUGE issue over WAN, since it would allow unauthorized access to my files. I've pretty much gone through every setting on the LaCie dashboard trying to disable this guest access, but I can't seem to find anything that works.

I would prefer to avoid using FTP to connect (due to bandwidth limitations imposed on me for that port)

Does anyone have experience doing this? Can you recommend a solution?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

yes

4. itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

Connecting with webDAV through WAN also allows guest access to openshare files... :mad:

theres got to be a way to disable this stupid guest access!!!!

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a better NAS, the Synology ones are very good and behave well with Macs.

6. itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

I may have to look into that if I cant sort out this LaCie issue. Anyone in particular you recommend?