LaCie Announces 2big Dock With Thunderbolt 3 Connectivity

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Marx55 macrumors 68000

LaCie should bring SSD. Mechanical disks are obsolete already!

2. theluggage macrumors 68040

I'd agree that spinning rust is dead as far as system/swap/working storage is concerned, but for situations where you need 10TB+ of storage, the inconvenient truth is:

SSD: ~ $300 per TB (even at non-Apple prices)
    HD: ~ $30 per TB (maybe twice that for RAID?)

...you can quibble about the precise values and what a valid comparison would be (clue: there isn't one) but although SSD is superior in most respects, if you need 10-20TB of storage you can't get away from the ball-park 500% - 1000% price premium.

I'm also guessing that Fusion-like solutions with a SSD 'cache' and HD bulk storage don't work too well for pro video/graphics applications with huge, cache-busting single files.

3. Shootn macrumors newbie

Shootn

--- Post Merged, May 5, 2017 ---
    I have used LaCie drives for over 10 years now and have 20TB of storage on various Lacie devices. I have just had my first disk failure on a disk that has been running almost constantly for four years. It was a mirrored drive in a RAID 1 setup so no catastrophe with zero data loss and Seagate are replacing it for free. I love their simplicity and design and I found their service second to none.

4. jdiamond macrumors 6502

I know - we do so much copying (typically volume backups), and it would be so awesome not to tie down a computer every time - just hook one hard drive directly to another and have them to the copying, much as modern printers can directly print images from a card without a computer. :)

5. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Anyone hear any rumors as to when this will drop? It's summer and I'm keep waiting :D

6. MacCurry macrumors 6502

I just ordered the 12TB version 6TB x 2 for use with my new Mid 2017 27" iMac. I intend to use it in RAID1 configuration where 6TB will be mirrored on the 2nd disk. Primarily photos and videos from a Canon 5D MkIII DSLR.

I will use another USB 3.1 drive to back up my applications with Time Machine. The LaCie 2big Dock with TB3 was just the solution I was looking for my photo collection.

7. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

They did have a range of SSD options, but not anymore. What happened?

8. MacCurry macrumors 6502

SSD is still relatively expensive. The 2x6TB version is $800. A 2TB SSD is $500. Mechanical drives for large storage under 10TB still be with us for another 5 years due to cost constraints.

9. VictorTango777, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Why do Apple and others use the term "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)"?? As far as I know, there is only one type of Thunderbolt 3 connector available so there is nothing to differentiate. In fact, the "(USB-C)" at the end just adds confusion. By the same logic, why don't they also use the term "Thunderbolt 2 (Mini DisplayPort)"?