Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
is it me or does it remind you of the power mac towers

pm96_001a.jpg
And Mac OS 9. ;)

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Still using 7200rpm? Is capacity more important than speed or why not use SSD?

Cost I imagine. Full blown ssd is pricey. At least for the 1tb's. Only time you see SSD even on NAS' by and large is read write cache drives. And even then the average size is 128gb. usually a 2 disk setup (1 read, 1 write) unless slamming it hard then you get more and raid them.

Not seeing this option mentioned for this, be nice if it did. Or some form of middleman caching. Place to keep data accessed more often I hear does wanders.

7200 a bit speedy over NAS as well. 5400's more common there. As the cost of say WD Red Pro's (7200) over the plain Reds (5400) when I got mine the consensus was not worth the cash really. If lacie has way to make 7200 cost effective it be cool I guess.

and capacity can be better long term. I didn't see my NAS reaching close to 50% capacity as fast as it did. What happened between time of storage buy and today? Ninja 2 and the pro res shooting it gets me lol. Game recorder for son's interest in being a youtuber I use also does conversion to pro res so that is used sometimes. 50 gb files can come in quite often basically.
[doublepost=1461050000][/doublepost]
It's a raid. It has its own redundancy. Only half or so is usable. If a drive fails, you remove it and replace it with a new drive and the info is rewritten to it.

at the risk of sounding pedantic...that is not backup. Its a buffer against data loss.

Especially with all in one system. Want a disk to disk backup to be accurate you'd need 2 of these to mirror in some way.

I have had the (dis)pleasure of even on a high grade san dealing with multidisc failure in a time frame no hot swap possible. Drives just went lemming mass suicide sadly after hours.

San restored in time, tape restores made this way less painful as it filled in gaps. Tapes are considered true backup. Data stored from the system on a permanent medium.

We just got lucky some data was replicated to another san so not as reliant on tape. Post action was of course have a true mirrored san afterwards plus tape in place.

Last edited:

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Those Cinema Displays in the picture above are by far the best looking Displays ever made.

Kinda odd Lacie use them together with their new 12big storage system.

Wild guess: The old Classic Mac PRO (the one that still has the DVI to run these) will probably get TB3 before the nMP will ;) (And the photo would not look half as nice with the TB-display..)

anentropic

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011

Let's face it: it's got 4 fans and 12 HDDs in there, it's going to be noisy... you're not going to have it sitting on your desk next to the monitor speakers

but with a max cable length of 2m (until optical cables come along...?) you're not going to have much option to shut it away in another room either

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Just wondering...
Who needs 96TB of storage?

I am guessing corporates use something more on the enterprise level not this. The only thing I can think of is probably a film/TV show making studio shooting in 4K maybe?

If my calculation is right, that enough to store a weekly TV epsiode that runs all year long for 461 years!

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
It's a raid. It has its own redundancy. Only half or so is usable. If a drive fails, you remove it and replace it with a new drive and the info is rewritten to it.

**** happens. studio burns down and you can kiss that redundancy goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
In that scenario you have bigger problems then data loss.
Also there are cloud backup solutions...
https://www.carbonite.com/en/cloud-backup/business-solutions/server-plans/

Insurance covers the building, why one should have it. data is data though. I may lose the SQL cluster in a fire. Buy new ones. the db's it stored though.....I can't rebuy them lol.

Why my tapes are offsite (offsite being the highly recommended way to store backups, actually a requirement for most audits out there).

And Did you see the add on prices....

Server Advanced - includes 500 GB storage
Additional storage available $99.99 / 100 GB

Basic math (not using proper byte scaling. not like the industry does it anyway...they like it simple too) is about $1000 per 1 tb of data over the 500gb start.

This is where the cloud "gets" you. They have great starter plans. Its when you get data creep (and most will have this issue) they make their money.

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Those Cinema Displays in the picture above are by far the best looking Displays ever made.

Kinda odd Lacie use them together with their new 12big storage system.

They indeed are. They still rock hard. I just secured myself a used one in very well condition for about 400€ few weeks ago. Considering they initially cost over 3000€ and still go away quickly for over 600€ on ebay it was a steal. And looks just awesome on my desk. Besides still having amazing picture quality this thing it anti-glare. 4K my ass! :D It's a shame Apple doesn't build these beasts anymore! I will keep mine until it falls apart!

Reactions: justperry

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Just wondering...

I am guessing corporates use something more on the enterprise level not this. The only thing I can think of is probably a film/TV show making studio shooting in 4K maybe?

If my calculation is right, that enough to store a weekly TV epsiode that runs all year long for 461 years!

This thing is definitely targeted at (individual) pros not for consumers who wanna backup their emails and vacation photos… ;)

But keep in mind it's also meant to be used in a RAID mode like RAID 10 for redundancy. This means all data is saved twice, if one of the disks dies you can continue to work and just replace the broken drive while production goes on. On the other hand, this cuts down available disk space to half: so only 48TB left.

For video editing file sizes quickly sum up. This is especial true for 4K+ video. Depending on the equipment and codec you're using, an hour of video accounts for 45GB up to 1500GB. So this is more like 1000 hours (best case!) or 1.5 days (worst case) of footage instead of 461 years. ;)

[Source: http://vashivisuals.com/4k-beyond-video-data-rates/]
VV4Kdatafinal.jpg

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
yep, video can kill some drive space. Pro res 422 (not 4k) not on list and that's at about the lowest 4k scale as well (for the non 4k videographers). An hour can get between 40-50gb with a d750 running ninja 2 external recorder.

For game recording the one I use gets about 40 for about an hour of footage once I run its conversions to pro res as well. Just fyi for aspiring game streamers if they get stuff like elgato. Its native recording smaller, it just blows up when you go pro res (they have their own converter for this).

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This thing is definitely targeted at (individual) pros not for consumers who wanna backup their emails and vacation photos… ;)

But keep in mind it's also meant to be used in a RAID mode like RAID 10 for redundancy. This means all data is saved twice, if one of the disks dies you can continue to work and just replace the broken drive while production goes on. On the other hand, this cuts down available disk space to half: so only 48TB left.

For video editing file sizes quickly sum up. This is especial true for 4K+ video. Depending on the equipment and codec you're using, an hour of video accounts for 45GB up to 1500GB. So this is more like 1000 hours (best case!) or 1.5 days (worst case) of footage instead of 461 years. ;)

[Source: http://vashivisuals.com/4k-beyond-video-data-rates/]

4K sounds like a little gain for a lot of inconvenience.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
When portable and desktop SSD? Mechanical disks are the past. Bring single-drive SSD (RAID increases the risk of losing data if one disk or the controller fails).

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
When portable and desktop SSD? Mechanical disks are the past. Bring single-drive SSD (RAID increases the risk of losing data if one disk or the controller fails).

SSDs are for speed, yes. But this solution is rather for big amounts of data and for archiving. An area where SSDs fall short due to price but also to longevity. (E.g. SSDs are a very bad idea for archiving purpose when you plan to remove the SSD from a power source for a longer time and just put it on your shelf or into a vault.)

Most sane people will hopefully use this RAID in a redundancy mode (e.g. RAID 10, never RAID 5 – even though Lacie seems to suggest, which is a bad idea, just google it.) where it's no problem if a disk fails. Actually, that's exactly what RAID is for: keeping you from data loss when a drive fails. In theory you could also put SSDs into this RAID if you really need the speed, but 96TB of it would be a hell more expensive…
[doublepost=1461533534][/doublepost]
4K sounds like a little gain for a lot of inconvenience.

Well, it's a huge gain for companies who want to sell you bigger hard drives to store, faster computers for editing and enormous screens to watch it. Until there is 8K and everything begins from start … until there is 10K and everyt… ;)

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

Not being combative or a smart ass so please don't take that way but show me an 8tb SSD drive I can buy from common market lol. This could be cool if it existed, and didn't cost 2 arms and 2 legs in the process.

Why you have this setup. Raid gets you several smaller drives to be 1 big one. With side features to taste. My NAS is 5 3tb drives. 2 are fail overs (Synology calls this SHR-2, aka raid 6). I can lose 2 drives and the array is okay. the 3 X 3 tb's the actual workhorses give me 8.1 tb after all the admin overhead taken care of (the DSM (OS basically) setup, drive tables, etc).

Edit: you could have just 1 failover or none if so desired. User tastes here. Mentioned earlier I have seen multidisc fail before, I opted for 2 just in case history repeats.

Worth noting even the max size 2tb's SSD's I am seeing are a bit pricey.

Last edited:

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Just wondering...

It's definitely not for personal use but I can see the use in a professional setting if you have a lot of projects on the go. Our shared storage at the studio has 36 TB usable and we often fill it. We could easily fill 96 TB if we transcoded all the material in native 6K instead of 1080.

To give you an idea of the numbers I'm looking now at, one season of one of our current shows takes up about 1.5TB per episode, would be more if I didn't back up the footage and archives to external drives. This specific show only has 8 episodes a season so that comes out to 12TB for one show transcoded at low quality 1080. If we were transcoding at high quality it would over double that requirement and then 4K would at least triple it.

Point is, there is definitely a market, just a niche one.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
It's definitely not for personal use but I can see the use in a professional setting if you have a lot of projects on the go. Our shared storage at the studio has 36 TB usable and we often fill it. We could easily fill 96 TB if we transcoded all the material in native 6K instead of 1080.

how come your show is 1080p and is 1.5TB per episode, but bluray is 50GB max and it has a full movie in 1080p?

Plus, do you really see a difference between 4K and 1080p? I mean does it really change the experience?
[doublepost=1461693478][/doublepost]

how come your show is 1080p and is 1.5TB per episode, but bluray is 50GB max and it has a full movie in 1080p?

Plus, do you really see a difference between 4K and 1080p? I mean does it really change the experience?

Ezlivin

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I like the idea that Sonnet Tech has with its ThunderLok. It seems like a pretty simple solution.

hopefully yes!

Things suddenly unplug because there is no locking mechanism whatsoever.
This never happened with my FireWire connectors, but since I have to use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, it happenes all the time.

For a professional port the thunderbolt connector has a foolish design!
At least USB-C has a firm connection even if it is really thin.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada

A blu-Ray shows the finished product, not all the clips involved in it. I'm not saying our final exports are 1.5 TB I'm saying that the space designated for each episode's transcoded material is 1.5TB. Most of that content doesn't make it into the show. Also, a blu-Ray, while still HD, is more compressed. We're working with editing codecs, not delivery codecs. They aren't the same thing.

While we don't deliver in 4K because the broadcasters aren't there yet, there is most definitely a difference in quality and 4K delivery is definitely the future. 4 times the pixels isn't some minute difference. When something is done properly in 4K and displayed properly you can 100% tell the clarity difference. That's why we shoot in 6K. For one, we can master in 4K if we want to and second, 6k down scaled to 1080 keeps more detail so the shots look better.

Reactions: g4cube

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
A blu-Ray shows the finished product, not all the clips involved in it. I'm not saying our final exports are 1.5 TB I'm saying that the space designated for each episode's transcoded material is 1.5TB. Most of that content doesn't make it into the show. Also, a blu-Ray, while still HD, is more compressed. We're working with editing codecs, not delivery codecs. They aren't the same thing.

While we don't deliver in 4K because the broadcasters aren't there yet, there is most definitely a difference in quality and 4K delivery is definitely the future. 4 times the pixels isn't some minute difference. When something is done properly in 4K and displayed properly you can 100% tell the clarity difference. That's why we shoot in 6K. For one, we can master in 4K if we want to and second, 6k down scaled to 1080 keeps more detail so the shots look better.

From the sound of it, no amount of storage would be enough.

Gone the days when an online video was 2.3MB and it was consider a "bigger" download

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
From the sound of it, no amount of storage would be enough.

Gone the days when an online video was 2.3MB and it was consider a "bigger" download
Haha that is basically true. There's a video floating around the studio of our assistant editor (when we bought the 36 TB) saying we will never run out of space again. It took less than a year to do so.

I remember when 1TB drives first came out and I said no one could ever manage to fill that. Now I backup my footage to 2 20TB drives. As quality increases, so does file size. It's just a natural progression.

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
but with a max cable length of 2m (until optical cables come along...?) you're not going to have much option to shut it away in another room either
Just to make a correction to your statement here, T3 does not have a max length of 2m. Straight copper cables are 3m. I think the max for optical cables are around 60m (about 197 feet). Not sure on the "active" cables (hybrid copper/optical) but I imagine somewhere in between.

anentropic

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Just to make a correction to your statement here, T3 does not have a max length of 2m. Straight copper cables are 3m. I think the max for optical cables are around 60m (about 197 feet). Not sure on the "active" cables (hybrid copper/optical) but I imagine somewhere in between.

Yes, like I said, until optical cables come along (which are planned but are not available yet for TB3) you are limited to short copper cables.

All true TB cables are "active" (with chip in the plug) and come in copper or optical (but not for TB3 yet) forms. TB3 newly allows "passive" (copper) cables too - seems that these are just USB-C cables - they might allow longer lengths like USB but have a slower connection than TB3:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)#Cables

The hybrid cables you're thinking of are optical TB cables with some copper to carry power to peripherals. But they don't exist for TB3 (yet). I guess they can be as long as other optical TB cables since the copper is not carrying data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.