LaCie big disk status

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Nov 5, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

When I saw how there were problems with the LaCie drives several months ago and the Pegasus drives still being so expensive, I thought I'd give it several months to see if any of the problems resolve, prices drop, or new thunderbolt products to materialize. Can anybody post what the current status of the quest for a decent and not overly expensive Thunderbolt drive is? Thanks.

2. smphoto74 macrumors newbie

The only thing I am seeing is that the LaCie Thunderbolt drives are loud due to the fan which keeps them way cool. You can unplug the fan(at own risk) but as far as performance I think the LaCie 2TB is worth it for $499. Seeing solid 180mbps everywhere and as soon as our contract gets signed for my job, I'm buying one. I do have the Pegasus R4 4TB and love it...it's fast. Copying a file from my 1TB Internal HD it takes about 60 seconds to copy a 5GB file back and forth. If I had an internal SSD it would be even faster. I am looking to install Lion on the LaCie drive and use the 1TB internal HD as a scratch disk. Get yourself a R4 or 2TB LaCie drive. :)

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. Anandtech reported on a problem with the Pegasus drives when used with the Apple TBD. Any updates on these problems?