Lacie Big Disk will not mount on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scariaga, Oct 4, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

I just bought a Lacie Big Disk 1 TB external HD. Took it out of the box plugged it in and connected to my MBP via firewire. I turned on the HD and turned on my MBP. I have yet to see the drive mount. I've tried all other interfaces, USB, 400 firewire. I've also tried to connect it to my G5 PPC desk top and no dice. So that's two computers, is there something wrong with this drive? any ideas?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... When you check the box, didn't you get a powersupply unit or brick in another little white box? Cause you'll need it, especially for a desktop Lacie Big Disk 1 TB.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya I have the power supply unit hooked up and I know that the HD is on cause I can hear it, also see the blue light on.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I assumed it's a brand new drive... so have you actually formatted it yet?
    If not, it shouldn't show up. Goto Disk Utilities (Application/Utilities/Disk Utility)

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

yes it is brand new, and the manual said that it is pre formatted for a Mac. I've had Lacie drives before and usually they show up automatically. I did actually go to the Disk Utility and when I opened the utility the drive doesn't show up in the left window. Is there something I need to select to make it appear?

6. Max Your Macs macrumors member

I am a Mac consultant with quite a few clients using LaCie drives and we have been seeing a terrible rash of this with everything from new to older LaCie drives. In every single case so far, it has been a bad power supply 'brick'. LaCie has replaced most all of them on an as-needed basis but they still deny a problem. I mean, I've personally replaced between 20 - 30 of these in the past year.

I'd take the drive back or at the very least, contact LaCie for a new power supply. We are now only installing WD drives which we have not had a single failure.

7. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya I seem to think there is something wrong here and I think you are right. So WD is the way to go then? I already have a 500 gig WD just wanted to try out Lacie, maybe I should just stick with what seems to be working. thanks appreciate it :)

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Doesn't matter if it's supposed to be pre-formatted... If you can't see it, try re-formatting it.
    If it STILL doesn't show up in the Disk Utility, then there's something wrong with the drive. i.e. FAULTY!

9. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ya that's what's odd to me, it should at the minimum appear in the disk utility. I think I'm going to have to send this one back to macmall. thanks for your help :)

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

From my personal experience, Lacie likes to use Hitachi/IBM drives which haven't had a good track record for me... they always seem to fail. If i was you, if you have WD drives and they work well for you then stick with them.

11. vanderpl macrumors newbie

Absolutely right!

Thanks dude, I ran into the same problem, where I have 5 LaCie Big disks
    in a row connected with FireWire 800s but only 4 showed up.
    I took your advice and exchanged the power supply to one that I knew had
    no problem and voila, the disk shows up!
    Thanks a million (I mean it since the disk is holding a TB of RED film footage).