LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire - Burning problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by allan_zip, Jul 21, 2010.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Sometime in the last couple of weeks I've not been able to burn DVDs on my LaCie external burner. I'm using Burn 2.4.1 and it keeps failing to write. I've also tried the Disk Utility to burn but that craps out also. I have tried pretty much everything including:
    4 different firewire cables that I know work fine.
    Taking the burner out of the daisychain and hooking it up by itself.
    Different media - TDK, Sony, Verbatim
    Updating firmware (I'm uptodate with 1.04.)
    Contacting LaCie, who suggested I uninstall iTunes (!?) update the firmware and try burning a disc. Result - nothing.

Unusually the burner will write to CDR so somethings still ticking. System profiler shows the unit fine.
    Does anyone have any ideas. I see people have similar problems with Toast. Is there a fix?

2. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Just been told by LaCie that there is nothing more they can do for me (which wasn't much anyway).
    Anyone here have any pointers, or is this a lost cause?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Just been told by LaCie that there is nothing more they can do for me (which wasn't much anyway).
    Anyone here have any pointers, or is this a lost cause?"

A few comments.

Have you tried burning using Roxio's "Toast" application yet?

I, too, have had problems when trying to burn to an external CD (on a white Intel iMac) connected via either USB or Firewire, using Apple's "built-in" burning tools or "free, 3rd-party" burning tools like "Burn".

Burn attempts may work normally using the iMac's built-in drive.
    HOWEVER -- try the same routine using the external, and... failure.

BUT -- Toast seems to have the "sense" to find and utilize both external DVD/CD burners that I hook up to it. Yes, it's commercial software. But you get what you pay for. Toast simply works, when the others don't.

4. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

I've not tried Toast but see in searches here that many people are having the very same issue with it, not sure I want to drop the money and have the problem persist.
    The only other commercial DVD burning application that I use is DVD Studio Pro but it has the same problem and I suspect it's "build quality" would be better than Toast. As I mentioned, the burner writes to CD perfectly fine, it's just DVD that appears to be a problem.