LaCie D2 Extreme thru FireWire Hub much slower?

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Hi guys I'm about to receive my 250GB LaCie HD and since I only have 1 FireWire port on my Mini I'm thinking easer to by a FireWire hub and plug in HD with iPod to it or just switch iPod to USB and dedicate the FireWire Port to HD? The both USB ports are used already but I can put USB hub there.

so basically question is. Is it noticeable for performance to have External HD to connect thru the Hub.

TAIA

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Peterkro said:
just Daisy chain the iPod to the LaCie
that's it, thank you I totally forgot that I can do that with FireWire. If LaCie will be constantly used will this affect the iPod performance?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
boneca said:
that's it, thank you I totally forgot that I can do that with FireWire. If LaCie will be constantly used will this affect the iPod performance?
Not at all. Well, theoretically, but not really, unless you are literally constantly flooding the FW link with data for the LaCie - which is very, very unlikely.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
jsw said:
Not at all. Well, theoretically, but not really, unless you are literally constantly flooding the FW link with data for the LaCie - which is very, very unlikely.
I'm actually thinking to keep this drive as storage for some images coming from Bittorent and such, so its gonna be receiving data constantly, this is why I asked.

btw, I don't know if you saw my edited post on Lynksis subject (I'm in Peabody about 5 - 10 min from you, just nice to see close neighbors on the board :) )

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
boneca said:
I'm actually thinking to keep this drive as storage for some images coming from Bittorent and such, so its gonna be receiving data constantly, this is why I asked.

btw, I don't know if you saw my edited post on Lynksis subject (I'm in Peabody about 5 - 10 min from you, just nice to see close neighbors on the board :) )
If your using FW800 its much faster than the harddrive can shift data so you shouldn't have a problem.
or FW400 for that matter.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
boneca said:

Bittorrent, is nothing like Full quality DV. You won't hit the 80M/sec, and That will be slowed down mostly by internet connection. The only way i see you seeing a slow down, is like if you are doing a Logic soundtrack, or using a 30gb .mov as scratch in Final Cut.

kyle

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Peterkro said:
If your using FW800 its much faster than the harddrive can shift data so you shouldn't have a problem.
I don't know if FW800 is option for me as I don't think Mini provides that speed to that FireWire Port? I was thinking about 400, but if 800 will work this should be much better.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
iPod through d2 dvd burner

on a similar problem...

I'm thinking about getting a firewire/usb2 d2 dvd burner to hook up to my mini and had a similar question regarding connectivity. if I connect the burner to the single FW port on the mac mini and then daisy chain the iPod to the burner, will it still charge??

Thanks

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
krollster said:
on a similar problem...

I'm thinking about getting a firewire/usb2 d2 dvd burner to hook up to my mini and had a similar question regarding connectivity. if I connect the burner to the single FW port on the mac mini and then daisy chain the iPod to the burner, will it still charge??

Thanks
I don't have the DVD burner but I do have a LaCie CD burner that daisy chains my iPod, no problem.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Applespider said:
Agreed. The D2 has a firewire 800, 2 400s and a USB2 socket on the back.
I wish my Lacie D2 did! It has 2 FW800 ports and only 1 FW400 port.

No idea if it's possible to use FW800->FW400 cables and chain it that way.

-vga4life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.