LaCie D2 Quadra or Western Digital MyBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmygreen, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jimmygreen macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm looking for a 500GB external drive to use with a new iMac (aluminium) and an old G4 tower. I'd like to go for something with Firewire 400 and 800 so I'm considering either LaCie D2 Quadra or Western Digital MyBook Pro.

I've found the WD for under £100 on amazon but the LaCie is £125. I've read a few things on these forums about the WD being very noisy...is the LaCie worth paying an extra £25 ($50) for? My main concern is reliability rather than noise as there will be times that unique data is stored on the drive.

Any advice?

2. pacer204 macrumors newbie

WD vs LaCie D2

I had the same issue when I decided to buy a new external drive to work with time machine. I went for the LaCie as I already have a 250gb WD my book. The WD has been fine but the quality difference is certainly there. Both run at the same noise level so dont worry about that.

If you are feeling flush the LaCie looks great, works great.

I'm thinking of getting a second to daisey chain and use with Elgato eyetv to store my recorded tv programmes...(boring, I know!)

I got mine from Amazon too as it seamed to be the cheapest place.

3. jimmygreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Pacer,

I was worried I'd be paying the extra money for eSATA on the LaCie (which I don't need) but if the quality is noticeably better then I think I'll go for it. LaCie drives have been recommended to me but I'd noticed a bit of bad feedback on the applestore for this model.

Anybody else care to chip in? Don't be shy!

4. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Buy.com has LaCie 500GB 2.0 #301103U for $118