LaCie D2 Quadra [sharing drive over network]

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scorch07, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

So here's the deal: I have a LaCie D2 Quadra 500GB where I store pretty much all of my photos. Does anyone have an idea of how I could possibly share this disk over the network while I'm just around the house, but still be able to easily plug it right into FW800 when I take my MBP downstairs for some heavy duty work? I have a Windows PC and a box running Ubuntu down here, so I could use one of those, I just don't know how to get the drive to sort of do a dual interfacing type thing. Any suggestions would be great!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

depends on how the drive is formatted. I'm guessing HFS+ journaled
    In that case, i would recommend an airport extreme (or time capsule if you want a little extra storage)

if it's just HFS+ NOT journaled, I've been able to get my Ubunutu server box to read and write to that. as well as plug it directly into my laptop. Although my drive just has USB2, it should just work with whatever interface you have plugged in.

I use this for my music and movies, since my main mac is a laptop, i don't have to fill up my drive with music i don't need at all times, but i have access to it at home over the network, or i can take the drive with me and plug it in if i need to.
    although sometimes it likes to mount on the ubunutu box read-only. a quick fsck.hfsplus fixes that. mostly this is after I've had it hooked to my mac.

Don't remember what i had to do to get it to work in the first place, if anything.

or if it's fat32, you could plug it into the windows machine and share from there, and still be able to read and write if plugged into the mac.
    NTFS will only read on mac, not write.

to find out disk format, open disk utility, and click the info button for the drive. Mac OS Extended is HFS+

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, it's "Mac OS Extended." Does that mean it's journaled or not journaled?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

it would say journaled.

look at the format for your main mac drive, that one is defiantly journaled.

so you're probably good to mount on you linux box, and share from there.