Lacie d2 Thunderbolt drive - format with Disk Utility or Lacie software?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BXPhotography, Jun 22, 2014.

1. BXPhotography macrumors newbie

So guys I finally got my replacement Lacie D2 Thunderbolt Drive. My first one I formatted using the included Lacie Intall software. It started to undock its self later corrupting its self and not being repairable. Was it due to me using the software to format it vs using Mac Disk utility? Id like to avoid corrupting another external drive. Thank fully disk warrior helped me save all of the photos on the drive.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

1. Just use Disk Utility, invariably the tools supplied by drive manufacturers are out of date and can become incompatible... people have reported losing entire drives worth of data because the drive manufacturer (WD) hadn't updated their tools to be compatible with Mavericks

2. Always backup your important files, preferably with software that can be automated so you can set it and forget it. Personally, I use Time Machine AND Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my system drive, then CCC for cloning my hard drives with important files to keep.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say... you may have just had a bad drive. That said, there is normally no need to use any of the drive manufacturer software and you are better off just using Disk Utility.