Lacie drive no longer being recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tbt, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tbt macrumors newbie

I have a 1 Tb triple interface Lacie drive that for whatever reason is no longer being recognized by my MacBook Pro running 10.4.9.

Has anyone else run into this problem. I believe it may have had something to do with the system update for my mac. The drive is only used as a back up and has not had a lot of use but does have all my info on it. I have tried to connect it to two other macs and a pc with firewire and usb cords but all I get is that the disk is unrecognizeable and I can either format it, ignore it or eject it. Has anyone had this happen, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.....

2. artalliance macrumors 6502

3. tbt thread starter macrumors newbie

It does recognize it but when I verify it I get this error message

Verifying volume “disk2s6”
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

If I repair it using disk utility, is there a chance that it would delete my info?

4. artalliance macrumors 6502

It shouldn't. I have used repair disk a dozen times, never deleted any data. It might tell you that it can't fix it though.

Post back about progress.

5. tbt thread starter macrumors newbie

You were right, it told me this..

Verify and Repair disk “disk1s6”

1 non HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Do you have any good ideas as to what would be a good next step? Other than throw tons of money at a data recovery company?

6. artalliance macrumors 6502

7. randyhiatt macrumors newbie

randyhiatt

I also have a similar problem

Did you get your lacie to mount? How?

G4 10.3.9 (I'll add real details here when I get them once back at home)

I use my Lacie external FW drive allot, it always mounted (is 3/4 full) untill I ran Hardware Test CD (which was an attempt to get my iTunes and QuickTime working again). Since that test finished no mount. DiskUtility see it but the only options I seem to have is to Verify or Fix, neither of which help (I'll add the real error message when I get it). The Permissions buttons are greyed.

I tried reboots, unplugging FW, power cord of drive (not G4 yet).

I have a real need to get my data back.

8. Squid macrumors newbie

Lacie power supply

You could try a different power supply from someones lacie.
    I've had 3 D2 big discs and a DVD burner do exactly the same as the OPs. For a while Techtool Pro/Diskwarrior might eventually mount them, but having read somewhere about the power supply problems, I changed them all. Instant mounted hard drives and not a peep out of them since!:)

Mind you £100 in power supplies is a PITA.

9. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

A terabyte? on one disk drive? that in itself scares me.

If my data was so important for business you can be sure it would be on another drive, .mac, backed up on dvd, or something!

maybe 2 terabyte drives mirroring each other next time! I am sorry for your loss. It makes me ill for you.

10. hana macrumors regular

So, do I go and buy Diskwarrior tomorrow or do I just get a new external hard disk? (Lacie 250GB porsche) This is what Disk Utility is saying.

Verify and Repair disk “disk1s3”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Invalid node structure
    Invalid record count
    Catalog file entry not found for extent
    Volume check failed.

1 HFS volume checked

1 HFS volume checked

11. semtek macrumors newbie

This is really wierd, I'm getting exactly the same thing, it started yesterday. Could this have something to do with the latest security update? It's really strange and i was about to spend money trying to get the data recovered.

12. eyelight macrumors member

13. hana macrumors regular

Well....
    1. Thought about what I have on the drive.
    2. Reformatted it.
    3. Put some files on it including back up files.
    4. It seems to be working.
    5. Going to scrounge around this weekend for a replacement. Not sure what kind or what size or usb/firewire..whatever. Will probably try to get another brand.

Why are all these drives dying? Is it the full moon?

14. jnash macrumors regular

Yeah same here, I had an lacie with no problems but I then purchased another 500GIG Western Digital drive, you can never be safe with these drives these days, I recommend burning all data to DVD on a monthly/quartly basis to be SAFE. Instead of that I have about 3tb's of total HD's and all being backed up by something at the end of every week.

I lost A TON OF data in the pass and I make sure that will never happen again. Also dont go with 1TB go with 2 500gig I know is more desk space and more to manage but its sooooo much better in the long run for issues like this.

15. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

I just had the same problem with my drive (200 GB LaCie FW800) that I've had for almost 5 years without a problem. The drive did exactly as everyone else has been claiming, Disk Utility shows it but is grayed out, Disk Warrior repairs it but it doesn't stay repaired. I've tried switching cables but that didn't work. I'm thinking of taking the drive out of the enclosure to see if it's the enclosure or drive.

I guess my question is, should i reformat the drive and expect it to be okay, or should I go buy a new drive now?

16. dr01dy macrumors member

I have a Lacie Triple interface 1.0 TB drive also. I have had it for about a year now and every so often I would get I/O errors reporting in Console stating that the Lacie disk was having issues. So on and on it went with files getting corrupted over time. I finally opened it up and formatted each drive 1 by 1 and found that 1 of the drives would not partition. All I have to do now if find the same exact Seagate drive and I will be able to recreate the raid.

For your issue I am not sure if Disk Warrior will correct your problem, I thought that only fixs directory's that are in trouble not volumes that are not mounting incorrectly.

17. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Dumb Idea.....

Sorry to state the obvious, but...

Did you try unplugging the drive completely from the power supply? I had a similar issue with a Lacie External FW DVD burner and turning it off didn't help. Only when I completely unplugged it from power did it finally reset and it's worked fine ever since.

BTW Lacie just posted some firmware update for the d2 drives as well.

18. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

After rebuilding my drive with DiskWarrior, it was running extremely slow. I tried updating the firmware (thanks to eRondeau) and it seems to work fine. Not sure if this is equivalent to resetting by pulling the power out.

The data is still somewhat corrupt though, so I'm having a tough time getting it backed up onto another drive. I'm wondering if the drive is going to be reliable at this point or if it's on it's way to hard failure.

19. dr01dy macrumors member

I really think you have 1 bad disk inside your Lacie keep in mind there are 4 250g Seagate drives inside it running raid0

Once you get your data off take it apart and do what I did by trying to reformat each drive.

20. brontophonic macrumors newbie

Older LaCie power supply problems

The older LaCie disks didn't have a big enough power supply, and would sometimes spin down unexpectedly or not spin up when power was applied. If you have a 500GB or bigger disk with the model# ACML-51 power supply, you should replace it if you are having problems. The new disks come with the model# AGCL-51 power supply (LaCie part number 710200), which is significantly heftier.

Here's a link to a UK post about a guy with this problem who contacted LaCie support and they sent him new power supplies, even though he was out of warranty.