LaCie Drive Probably Failing, 2Big Tripple Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hexonxonx, Mar 19, 2009.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a 10 month old Lacie 2Big Tripple drive that has been making a loud whirring noise all day. It did this several weeks ago as well then just stopped. I immediately took the drive and copied everything over to my Mac Pro so I am not in danger of losing anything now. It did take the Mac Pro several minutes to even be able to browse the drive to copy things over. I can't remember what brand drives it came with, but I just remember they are not WD. For those who don't know, LaCie doesn't make hard drives, just the enclosures.

The drive has two 500 GB drives in it. I am wondering if anyone has experience in replacing these drives with bigger drives. I had the drives set to as one big drive and that's the way that I would continue to use it.

I'm thinking of adding two 1TB drives or two 1.5TB drives. Thanks for any help

2. harddriveowner macrumors member

I had 3 Big Triple-Access (USB/FW400/FW800) Lacie's do exactly that. Then they died. Two were 2 Terabytes and one was 1Terabyte. I tried everything to get the whirring noise to stop and have the disks work. I finally gave up. Now they can be used as doorstops.

I currently have 2 of the newer slimmer Lacie models and they have been great from day one. Was it the model that was no good?

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I had a similar problem with a 1TB big Disk. When I called tech support, they asked if I could try a power supply from another drive. That was the problem, so they sent me a new power supply.

Worth checking out.

Have you called the tech support? If it is only 10 months old, it is still under warranty.

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I haven't tried their tech support because I don't think I ever registered it and I don't have the receipt. I bought it on the Apple site. The drive is no longer sold either.