Lacie Drive Running Even When Mac is Off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Jan 3, 2009.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

My Lacie drive makes noises and sounds like it's running even when my mac is not even on. Is this normal? I have two daisy chained and it is the one that is the back up....

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Your drive has a separate power supply, so it will run independently of your Mac. I suggest turning both off at the same time.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

If I may add to BR's response, turn your LaCie drive off AFTER you've powered off your Mac.

4. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Great....I haven't killed my hard drive now have I....I'm at work now and it's still apparently running at home...auuggghhh.... How can I turn it off? I can give my husband instructions to do it....

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I'm not sure which LaCie model drive(s) you're using, but if your Mac at home is off (not just sleeping), those drives will be unmounted, so damage to them is unlikely.

So, how do you turn the drive off? Depending on the model, there may be a rocker switch at the back (as mine has), but failing that, simply pull the power plug, either from the drive enclosure or from the power supply.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't. Use the power switch. The LaCie drive I have has a power button on the back left.