LaCie eSATA Hub Thunderbolt & multiple disks on one port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeroen020, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jeroen020 macrumors member

jeroen020

As per LaCie's specifications, their eSATA Hub Thunderbolt Series does not allow eSATA port multipliers.

However in the comments on the apple store review page for the device there are two owners who claim they have it working:

Unfortunately this doesn't list which enclosure is used

The Thermaltake BlacX Duet info is here: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1346&ID=1895

Which states:

In other words it looks like there is limited support for port multiplication in the Lacie eSATA Hub. I hope in this thread we can establish a list of devices that have been tried to work - or confirmed not to.

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

3. Meyvn macrumors 6502

4. jeroen020 thread starter macrumors member

jeroen020

That makes sense, thanks!
    But it would also mean that the Thermaltake BlacX Duet wouldn't work, as it states it requires a host system with eSATA port multiplier. Strange that the Apple Store review claims it works. Maybe he's only using one disk at a time.

Those Datoptics towers look really nice but a bit overkill. Would be happy with an enclosure capable of doing two disks and perhaps use RAID 0 (with SSD's).

5. jeroen020 thread starter macrumors member

jeroen020

I tried a number of eSATA enclosures but speeds were disappointing. It seems that they all dropped down to SATA I. I've now connected two 256GB Samsung 830 series directly to the Lacie via eSATA to SATA cables and a SATA power supply. I've set them up as a 512GB RAID0 via Disk Utility and get 357 MB/s write, 463 MB/s read. Looks like a keeper.

6. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

There is a new SATAIII Thunderbolt JBoD solution
    http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-JBoD-SATAIII-Enclosure-Windows/dp/B00HSA1AOA/

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

No it means the host must support port multipliers (i.e. be compatible with port multipliers). Some host eSATA ports are not compatible with port multipliers.

The Thermaltake BlacX Duet has a port multiplier built in. When you connect any port multiplier to a host port that does not support it, only one drive (drive 0) is seen. When you connect the Thermaltake BlacX Duet to a host port that supports port multipliers, both drives will be seen. In other words, the Thermaltake BlacX Duet is no different than any other port multiplier device.