Lacie Ethernet disc mini standby modus

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pieterjanprops, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pieterjanprops macrumors newbie

Hello,

(first of all, sorry 4 my English)

I have bought a Lacie Ethernet disc mini of 500 gb.
    I'm very enthousiast about it, it's recognized automatically by all computers connected to our network, even the appletv, as external drive can use it.

But when we are at work our during the day when we don't use it, the disc keeps on turning... I don't think this is the best for the disc itself and it uses to much energy where it shouldn't...

Isn't it possible to set a time-out time somewhere? I can't find it somewhere, also googlin' around didn't bring any solution

Maybe here is someone who knows a possible solution?

thanks

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I actually have the same drive as you do. I just unplugged it when not in use. I two never found a way to spin down the drive.

3. sailingk8 macrumors newbie

Time out causing problems

We purchased two minis as back up devises and while trying to move the 235G of info even in smaller bits the Mini keeps timing out. How do you turn OFF the time out feature????

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I also have one and don't think there is a way to sleep the hard-drive.I usually turn it off at night.

(by the way I think the Linux OS sleeps the hard-drive when it's not in use,it's only the system fan that's running and the OS it needs to be ready if it has to serve data on request)