Lacie Ethernet Disk mini issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sakpeg100, Sep 1, 2012.

1. sakpeg100 macrumors newbie

Ok i know this has been discussed in the past. I am unfortunately not realy tech savy. but I have a late 2009 imac running lion. my Lacie Mini will not show in finder any more. Looking at the back of the mini, i have a flashing green and solid orange lights. I can hear the drive running.

Anybody have any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Scott

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm not going to tell you something you want to hear. I got a LaCie network disk a few years ago. It suddenly stopped working when I allowed it to update its firmware. Finally, after wasting a day and a half on the thing, it came back from the dead. But my files seemed to be gone. After copying everything back over the network from a replica I had, I found out from LaCie that my files were really "moved" so now I had two copies of my stuff.

This year we had a power failure. My LaCie NAS sat there for months with a slow blinking blue light. I had already purchased a Synology NAS so the LaCie was really my backup. Not any more. I have a second Synology that is now my backup.

I've been through the ringer with NAS. I tried Western Digital, Iomega, Seagate, Buffalo and Apple. They all suck. In every case, if they fail you wind up mailing your precious data back to the manufacturer to get the thing fixed. I know my 500 GB Time Capsule came back from Apple empty. So now I put nothing on the inside and back my stuff up to a USB disk plugged in to the TC. Seagate will try to sell you a subscription for basic stuff like ftp. WD and Buffalo will not power back on after a power failure.

For NAS, consider only Synology, QNAP and Drobo. Everything else is squishy dog poop. If I had bought Synology in the first place, I would have saved hundreds of dollars.

My Synology drives are low power and I put WD "green" drives in them so they draw 12 to 18 watts during operation and even less when asleep. If I do experience a problem, I can pop my drive out and get the thing repaired without my data leaving my home.

There is a "recovery utility" you can download from LaCie. It didn't work for me but it might work for you. Even if it does work, do you really want your data sitting on an NAS drive that could quit working at any moment?

3. sakpeg100 thread starter macrumors newbie

lacie

thanks, i appreciate the honesty. I kind of thought this scenario as well. funny you mention a power failure, mine started acting up after one as well. I even had it plugged into a power strip surge protector. There is a usb port on the back of lacie but when i plug it into the iMac nothing? The lacie is running but nothing shows up? Any ideas?

scott

4. LaCieTech macrumors member

Scott,

Brown or black outs can cause the power supply, especially older ones, to quit. The symptoms you're describing seem typical for a failed PSU. Many manufacturers design them to fail in the event that not failing will cause the device itself to become damaged. I recommend that you contact our support team at 503.844.4500 (USA) or at www.lacie.com to discuss replacement options or other solutions to getting access to your disk.

Having a redundant backup is very important, all hard drives from every manufacturer will eventually cease functioning - its inevitable. External hard drives are more susceptible to damage than internals because of the environment they exist in. You can usually expect an average of 3 to 5 years out of any brand of external drive if its kept in ideal conditions but you should always be prepared with a backup. We hope that it doesn't fail any time soon and that you eventually upgrade instead of replace, but in the world of electronics and moving parts there is always wear and tear and the unexpected event.

~mn, LaCie

5. ankh macrumors member

Should the Ethernet Disk Mini work with Mountain Lion?
    I set it aside a year or more ago after doing a back up to it.
    Since then I've changed computers, and don' t need the info, happy to reinstall the thing -- but how? The software at LaCie won't even load under Mountain Lion.

6. IPexpress macrumors newbie

Lacie Drive

Hi Guys, From what has been said in this Forum, it appears that Lacie drives in particular are a bit suspect when it comes to power fluctuations. I am looking to pay a bit extra and buy a ruggedised drive from Olixir.