Lacie ex.hd data recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dziga, Dec 24, 2008.

1. dziga macrumors newbie

So I've got an archive of images on my lacie 500gb external HD consisting of about 800 folders each one with anywhere from 300-10,000 individual files. The total size of the archive is about 300gb. The other day the drive fell over on the desk while running. Now when I boot it up I get a message saying "the drive is not repairable and is being made available with limited functionality". It instructs me to backup my files and reformat. So I bought a new 500gb drive but the old one will not let me transfer files, that is not by dragging and dropping or copying and pasting. I got some success by using quickback, the sub application of speedtools but it goes fast in bursts and then slows to a crawl and sometimes stops all together. I've also tried media scanner from speedtools to "relocate bad sectors" as they put it but whatever is wrong with the drive has made it "read only" so the app can't relocate the bad areas.

So I'm in a bind, 9 years of data on this drive I need to get off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yikes! :eek: That is an amazing amount of stuff to have with no backups-- I am really sorry to hear this!:(

Well, I would download and attempt to run a full clone of the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner right off the bat since you can download it and use it immediately free.

If that does not complete, then Data Recovery II may be in order- you can download a demo that will let you scan the drive and recover a small portion to show you that it works then buy a license online for full recovery if it works for you.

One thing I would NOT do is anything else with trying to remap the drive or things of that nature at this point (and you may have been blessed by it not working actually). The fact that the drive is still readable even if only as a read only device is good news and you want to get off all you can before that is no longer the case. That is why (even if your drive was writable) I would not have even recommended my usual workhorse Disk Warrior on your drive, since getting data off first is paramount.