Lacie external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dwl017, Apr 5, 2007.

1. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Good morning all,

Does anyone know how I get my windows pc to see a lacie external hard drive that was set up on my Mac. All I did was plug it into my Mac via firewire but when I plug it into my windows based pc the machine does not find it. Im running XP on the windows based pc.

Thanks

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Did you format the drive using HFS+ ? This is a Mac format method, and Windows cannot read it.

The best thing to do is (if there isn't much data on the drive already) copy all the data onto your Mac, then use Disk Utility (found in Utilities) and format it in FAT32 (MS-DOS) format. Then copy all the data back on to the drive and your Windows PC should see it no problem.

You might find you'll have slightly slower transfer rates when writing stuff to the drive on the Mac but if you are using FireWire then you won't notice a thing.

N.B. Above info is assumed you did format it using HFS+ format.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Another thing you can do is get MacDrive. It is a Windows app that allows you to read and write to HFS+ drives. I think you get a free trial with the LaCie drive (it should be on the CD).

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Bear in mind though that keeping it in HFS+ format will mean that you will have to install the third party software for every Windows based computer you want to use your hard drive with. Not very convinent if a mate wants a copy of something etc.

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Another vote for MacDrive. Been using it for the last year with no problems what so ever.

Using FAT32 will restrict file-sizes to around 4GB, a big no go in my world.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

How's the speed on the mac drive in windows?

7. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

how do you pronounce it:

LAY-see
    Lah-SEE
    Lassie
    Ghoti

?

8. iomerso macrumors newbie

Just as a word of caution. I'm new to Mac having just got a MacBook Pro. Have 3 external Lacie firewire drives attached. Until a couple of hours ago, they were all formatted as FAT32. The reason I changed was because I found that under certain circumstances, when I created new folders or files with almost the same name (e.g., "part a" and "part b"), OSX would go in and rename the folders and I'd end up with 2 folders with the same name (e.g., 2 folders named "part b"). I know...sounds impossible but it's not and I had to jump through hoops to get rid of the files.

Made my first call to Apple support and got the runaround about them not supporting external drives but finally got thru to someone who indicated that this "could be a situation which exists in the implementation of FAT32."

Just my 2 cents...

-ilene

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If this is a serious...then LAY-see would be correct.

10. moabon.rob macrumors member

Surely it's pronounced similar to French (especially the way it is split - LaCie -> La Cie)?:confused:

...so lah-SEE , e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScXx5F_2fw for people saying it,

Bit of a non-issue really though ;), and I myself was initially 'taught' it was pronounced LAY-see...

11. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

OK - I admit it - "ghoti" wasn't serious and neither was lassie. The others were.