LaCie External or Seagate?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CalBoy, Oct 21, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've used both brands, although not those specific models. Never had any trouble with either of 'em. If it were me I'd probably spring a little more and buy the LaCie D2 design, which always feels a bit more solid to me, but that's just personal preference. There's not a lot to choose between the two you've linked, and they're both likely to be reliable, so I'd go for whichever you like the look of :D

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I would see no reason to get the seagate over the Lacie. For one thing, look at the designs! Also Lacie is a trusted drive maker, and it is cheaper, seems like an easy choice to me. Only thing would be that neither have firewire, but if that is not necessary for your use, then get the Lacie.

Oh, and why not go to the 500gb for $15 more? Remember this, the actual formated space on a 320gb drive will be about 298gb or less, and a 500gb would be 465gb or less.

4. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Thanks for your tips, but now I have a third swing factor:eek:

FRYS has a Maxtor(I've heard so-so reviews about this brand, so I'm not sure how confident I am with this idea) on sale for $94, and it's 500GB. I just saw the ad two minutes ago while having breakfast:p

So, what do you guys think? Worth it (monetarily, it certainly seems so).

As for the storage limit, I know that the actual capacity is less, but that really doesn't bother me. I think my initial usage will use up ~30GB, followed by minor additions (I figure no more than about 10GB/year), so the drive (320 or 500) will last me quite a while.

Thanks again for your responses.:)

PS: Firewire would be nice, but I'm not willing to pay a lot more for it. After the initial transfer, I would only be moving about 10MB or less everyday, which USB will handle just fine.

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

LaCie seems like it would be more solid, but I've heard a lot of complaints and I had one die on me. I bought a Seagate, we'll see how it holds up.

Of course there are lots of anecdotes for any brand, so you can't really go by that.

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Buy both, spin them till their death, and post back results here. I'll put £10 on the Lacie dying first..

7. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I have the 250GB FireWire version of the porsche and it's great.

I'd reccomend it. Get FireWire, though... tons better than USB 2.0

8. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I take it you've had a bad Lacie?:rolleyes: Thanks for advice though. What about that $94 Maxtor? Any thoughts on that beast?
    I would, but it's an extra $35 just for Firewire. Like I said, after the initial transfer, my updates will be frequent and low in size, so I'd only see a marginal gain from Firewire. Now if only the new iPods used Firewire...

9. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I have a lacie d2 triple interface. it's okay, but the build quality is crap.

Next external HDD will be a G-Drive, as long as I can get it in the UK.

10. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

That is one sweet looking drive.

*Wants one*:eek:

11. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

About the Maxtor, I had a 160gb Maxtor that worked for me for 4 years, when I sold it for a 500gb Seagate. I trust Maxtor drives, but some people don't.
    Also, my brother had a 320gb Lacie (firewire 800 Porsche) and it overheated and died, but he thinks it was because it was sandwiched between another hd and a dvd-burner and against the wall.

12. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Since I'm going to be using for a short time each day (low chances of overheating, etc), the Maxtor offers the best value for me no? At $94, it looks to be quite a bargain!

Thanks again for the viewpoints (they've helped me a lot).:)

13. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Am I missing something here? LaCie are not a hard drive maker are they? They do the enclosures, firmware, fans, interfaces, etc. but the actual hard drives are maxtors, or seagates, or...

I'm happy to learn something and be wrong about this though (?)