Lacie Firewire hard drive issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mark1958, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mark1958 macrumors newbie

I just got my son an external Lacie Hard drive (firewire) for his older apple laptop. He is running 10.3.9 with a 800mHZ power/PC G4 1gb ram

When i try to copy one of his i movie files into the disk I get an error that it cannot copy because the name is too long or it has characters not understood. I can copy other files (e.g. word)When i use the disk to transfer some of the same files on my newer mac laptop, I do not get this error and it copies fine. I tried to make sure added the application suffix to the file name and it still gives the same result. Any suggestions?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sounds like maybe something to do with the drive's formatting. You can see how it's formatted by selecting the drive and selecting File->Get Info. OS X can interact strangely with different drive formats, so that'd be a first place to start.

If it says "Mac OS Extended", it won't be a format issue, so you might want to look at the actual name of the file...is there something abnormal? Does it have a colon in it for some reason (that's not allowed), or is it extremely long? Try changing it and copying it then.

3. mark1958 thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive works on my other Mac notebook and i have changed the name of some of the files to 2 letters and it still gives the error message. I will look at the formatting though. I should also say I have an older Lacie external hard drive and that one seems to work well on all of our macs.

4. Marshy76 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to these forum's but have found the answer to one of my issues and now need help with the 2nd.

I have a Lacie Harddrive but when connect it to my iMac G4 it does not register and connect. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

5. mark1958 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I can suggest is to try to reboot the computer and see if it now is recognized.

FOr my son's Lacie, I found that if i re partioned the the Lacie to OS Extended it worked as suggested by Out there.. so thanks for the advice.