LaCie - great experience

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jrcsh6, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

In a nutshell, bought a new sealed up 2tb lacie starck drive. It arrived and didn't work. I got in touch with lacie for help/suggestions. After some quick emails and then they just had me mail it back for repair. Upon its arrival it stayed there 3 hours and was back out the door on it's way back to me. Hooked it up tonight and all is good. They were very helpful and nice. Just wanted to share my experience.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I've heard tons of great stories about LaCies support. They are a really great company, awesome support for awesome products.

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

Considering I have a d2 quadra, that's great to read! If you read the reviews on Amazon and a couple other places, there are not so stellar reviews of their support....

4. mangrove macrumors 6502

Maybe stupid questions, but here goes.

-Those who have LaCie products, do you install the DVD that comes with them or do you let your Apple "find" the new external device?

-It seems that the DVD has some interesting stuff on it, but does not it just clutter up your system even more?

-Or do you need to download the DVD to make the backup work?

5. circularforward macrumors 6502

I don't use any of the LaCie software. I let finder find it, and then use Disk Utility to format them as Mac OS Extended. Then I use SuperDuper or any other program that is more suitable than the LaCie options. The LaCie software is generally old and not the best options.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I got the La Cie 1TB Neil Poulton drive - it's on its 47 month mark and going great. Love the La Cie designs, they didn't have a Starck one when I was buying then else I'd have got it, it looks amazing. The Ola-Ito one is cool too with the liquid looking top.

Just a shame they don't have a wireless version of the Starck one cos that would give me the justification I need to pick up another drive :(

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Got two LaCie drives and eyeing a third. One of the drives is an old Porsche drive that is soon to celebrate it's sixth year in use.

8. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I didn't install the software for my Porsche or the Grand but did on the Starck. The Starck has a touch thing on the front. Pretty cool. You can tap it to open an app or hold your finger on it and do another thing. I made one touch open itunes and holding my finger on the front of the drive to dismount it.