LaCie Hard Drive - Multiple Partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chanabra, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Chanabra macrumors member

Hello, I was wondering if I could partition my new 1TB LaCie HardDrive 3 different ways, one being the time capsule backup, second being an itunes library / file storage, and the third being bootcamp with windows xp installed.

I'd like to do this and would appreciate any help or tips in the right direction

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

You can do the first two, but not the last. Windows can only be installed on a partition on your built in, internal drive using the Boot Camp Assistant Software.

For the first two, open up the application called "Disk Utility" (just start typing Disk Utility into the Spotlight box in the top right-hand of your screen). Select your LaCie drive from the right hand menu, and select "Partition". Then, set the number of partitions, and select the sizes of the two partitions, with the file format of Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Make sure to select a name for each of the partitions, i.e., "Time Machine" and "External Files", or whatever. Press Apply once you're satisfied.

Once you've done that, OS X should ask consecutively if you want to use the drives for Time Machine, answer affirmative for the partition you want to use.

3. Chanabra thread starter macrumors member