Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alec Mc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Dear MacRumors

I have been using a Lacie D2 Quadra for under a year.

It has all been working fine until today.

The Drive powers up all fine but won't mount on my desktop, or disk utility. The System powerfiler sees the device but is called 'unknown device' with no other information attached.

I've tried using various other power cables, firewire/ usb, powering down mac, turning off mac, turning off drive.

The drive powers all fine, and even when the mac is turned off, the drive still has power even when switched to the 'auto setting.'

I'm totally stuck, please help.

Many thanks Alec

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Alec,

The symptom's your describing are typical of several types of issues. The most common is deep volume corruption which occurs when the device's index no longer matches the data. Its a fairly common occurrence and can happen easily to any storage volume on any OS and generally does not mean your disk is broken.

You can contact LaCie support at http://www.lacie.com/mystuff or by calling 503.844.4500 (USA). We will be able to further investigate what has happened to your disk and once we're able to identify the cause of these symptoms we can figure out the best course of action to get it all resolved.

~mn, LaCie

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Sounds like it might be the LaCie external enclosure that's causing issues.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Utility with the drive connected?

If you send it back to LaCie, they might just send you a new one and you will lose your data.

You should be able to buy a cheap enclosure and just take out the drive from the LaCie and put it in the new one and back stuff up and then put the drive back into the LaCie enclosure and return it to LaCie for a replacement.

You have to find out if the internal drive is a 3TB 3.5" SATA drive. From a quick search that's what it seems to be.

Something cheap like this will suffice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182221

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Dear MacRumors

The Drive powers up all fine but won't mount on my desktop, or disk utility. The System powerfiler sees the device but is called 'unknown device' with no other information attached.

I've tried using various other power cables, firewire/ usb, powering down mac, turning off mac, turning off drive.

The drive powers all fine, and even when the mac is turned off, the drive still has power even when switched to the 'auto setting.'

Many thanks Alec

I have been considering Lacie on again off again for years now. I never pulled the trigger since my D-Link NAS has been meeting my needs and I can't justify the expense of a Lacie. Let us know what transpires so i will know if I need to avoid Lacie.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Dear MacRumors

Many thanks Alec

Same here, with additional issues - blue light is lit up (not blinking), there is no sound from the drive, and green light on the power supply is also lit up.

Unfortunately, can't get help from LaCie support because my Quadra is from 2008 and there is no option to register product bought before 2011. Also, wrote down SN from the case (the same is on the box, and actually says Serial Number), the site says there's no product with such SN.

Is there any help for users with products out of the warranty, or LaCie simply doesn't care about that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.