Lacie Hard Drive Not Mounting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dcwang3, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dcwang3 macrumors newbie

So I accidentally pulled out my external lacie HD without un-mounting it first (done it many times), but this time it seems like it affected something because it does not mount anymore. When I plug it in, it says

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

I read many threads and topics about using Data Rescue III to get back the data and Disk Warrior to build the directory. Data Rescue works but like all other threads, it does not get back the directory so all the files and stuff gets renamed sequentially.

Disk Warrior does not work because my drive was formatted as NTFS so I could use it on windows. I used Paragon NTFS on mac to be able to read and write on the HD. DW only works on mac HD format.

So my question is that is there a way to get back the data WITH the directory in tact? I would rather not go through hundreds of thousands of files and rename everything, but if that's the last resort, then I will.

[​IMG]

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"So my question is that is there a way to get back the data WITH the directory in tact?"

I'll guess that you're probably going to have to do the recovery on a Windows PC. Isn't there an app for PC's called "Spinrite" that's supposed to be very capable?

I -don't- believe you're going to be able to do data recovery "on the Mac side" and achieve the results you wish for...

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

4. dcwang3 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Fishrrman: so the problem that I have with any recovery program is that windows does not recognize the device and thus does not mount. The device manager sees it as an unknown device hooked up through the USB.

@rw3: read what I initially posted

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"@Fishrrman: so the problem that I have with any recovery program is that windows does not recognize the device and thus does not mount. The device manager sees it as an unknown device hooked up through the USB."

Question back at you:
    Have you tried Spinrite on a PC?

I have never used it (I'm a Mac ONLY person), but I've heard comments from others that it can succeed when NOTHING else can.

Try it and get back to us.