Lacie hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Feb 13, 2011.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hello.

Hi. My Big Disc Quadra 2T drive is not recognized by my mac. It had happened a couple of times before but plugging in and out seemed to fix the problem. I tried all your solutions. I was connecting it via Firewire800 with my mac. The drive powers on but is not recognized.

Any idea what to do? I've emailed them but in France. I tried contacting them through a web form but the only country i could choose was US which is lame cause i live in Greece.

Any ideas on what to do? Should i open the case to get the two drives out? But then will i loose the data because of the raid configuration (sorry, i'm not into technical stuff).

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I have no experience with this drive but it seems to have mediocre ratings on Amazon and Newegg. I wonder if yours is starting to fail?

Can you connect it to your computer in a way other than Firewire?

3. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm having the same problem with my external USB drive. If I unplug it from my iMac and plug it into my MBA, it is recognized. If I then plug it back into my iMac, I can see it. After a bit, I can't see it anymore. I'm wondering if it doesn't wake up from my iMac sleeping, but I haven't delved into it that much.

I think the drive might also be failing. There is a blue light that comes on and then goes off from time to time. Never noticed that before. I think I might order one of these 1 TB drives as a replacement.

[​IMG]

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Most likely? The controller is shot, probably not the HD itself. I have had quite a few of them fail that way. I simply buy an enclosure and pop in the HD.

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I think you are probably right, but the situation is complicated in his case because the two drives apparently are RAIDed. If they were split apart, wouldn't each be unreadable?

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

THAT will be a problem, depending on how they were RAIDed of course. I have no idea how to proceed in this case. I had an Xserve RAID that was used to rebuild raided drives from another enclosure, but it was done by someone a lot smarter than me. Look on eBay for a similar box maybe? Sorry I can't help further.