LaCie Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarkW19, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Just wondering what anyone thinks about this:-

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=11025

I'd be using the 750GB version over FireWire 800, into my MBP, mainly for Logic audio/video use. I want something fast, relatively small, and quiet.

And advice appreciated!

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I've been using the 750GB version for the past week or so. Very nice drive. It's fast, and with no cooling fan, it's quiet. I use it for time machine backups and to host a 250GB photographic image store via FW800. It's fast, it looks good, and I'd buy another.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome, good to hear! Thanks.

Do you use it with your MBP? If so, how would you compare the ambient level of the LaCie, with the standard (~2000rpm) noise level of the fan?

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've had good luck with other Lacie products, including a USB external drive and an external dual-side DVD burner.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

A bit louder maybe. I think the aluminum case amplifies the sound the actual drive makes, but it's subdued and quieter than a drive with a cooling fan would be. I am extremely sensitive to noise, and it doesn't bother me.

6. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, thanks, looks like I'm getting one then :)

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've posted this several times before. I'm starting to sound like a LaCie hater, but I'm not. The topic just comes up a lot.

LaCie is one (of several) drives I've had fail on me over the years. I typically avoid LaCie because I have no idea who makes the drives that go into each one. LaCie only makes the enclosures. Who makes the drive in the one you buy is a crapshoot.

My LaCie that died turned out to be a Maxtor (which is a brand that has always scared me):

[​IMG]

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Over time all drive will fail, 100% certain something will happen on a long enough time line.

I found just as long a you also back up what you have also on DVD, Blu Ray, CD, etc you'll always have a solid back up of the stuff you need.

At my work we found just having a back up isn't enough, we basically had a computer's HDD fail and the back up failing all in the same week, it was a costly mistake where we had to fork out $4K for data recovery.

Now we have 2 back up, a Blu Ray back up once a month and the HDD back up every week.

But I recently bought a LaCie 500GB drive for my younger brother, so far so good and I got a very good price on it so I'm happy.

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

You can pretty much find a "hater" for any brand that's out there. I've had 3 LaCie drives over the past 5 years, they've all been fine, and I still use 2 of them (edit: of course one is rather new.. The other is about 4 years old. I gave away an old ethernet disk with an embedded NT server when it no longer met my needs). I also have 2 Maxtor (now part of Seagate) SATA drives in 3rd party external enclosures that are several years old and chugging away with no troubles.

So my experience with these brands has clearly been a more satisfactory one than yours.

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Yeah. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not a hater. I just wish I knew who made the drives in them.

If there is one brand of hard drive I don't like, it's Maxtor. Clearly I've learned that one of the brands LaCie uses is Maxtor.

With WD and Seagate, I know who made the drives inside.

On the bright side, I do have a really nice enclosure (pictured above) that I can throw something I trust in.

11. cyberfruit macrumors newbie

My Lacie 500gb d2 quadra is a Samsung. The fan stopped working though so will try in new enclosure. Just hope I can recover my data, but would defo think twice about buying Lacie again.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally im not going to buy another LaCie, they are unreliable and have caused too many mac "screens of deaths" on me, which is not handy when you do a lot of work with the drive! as a backup drive it would be fine.

id recommend making it yourself, much easier and cheaper.

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I have the 500GB version of that same HD and it works flawlessly, both w/Time Machine and transferring files btw my Mac and Vista via Boot Camp. It's also very quiet compared to other externals. I would recommend it to anyone that is buying an external. I use the Firewire 400, as my Macbook doesnt have a Firewire 800 port :( but it works fine and its fast. It also has an eSATA port and cord which is handy if Mac every decides to add an eSATA port later down the line (its the fastest port available at the moment, w/a speed of about 3gbps).

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

get a MBP and an esata card and your set :cool: