Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have my 30" monitor attached to my Mac Mini through a LaCie little big disk. The display works well but I can't see the LaCie drive on the Mini! What is going on??

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Did you check System Profiler/Information? Disk Utility?

Yes, the LaCie TB drive doesn't show up. It shows up just fine if I plug it in directly to my Macbook Air or to the Apple TB display at home. But I can't do that at work because I only have a non-TB display and need a display to use the Mini.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I can't find the source for this, but I think I read it from an article here on MR a few months back.

Some devices, such as your LBD, can't sense that a non-thunderbolt display is next in the chain and won't send the pure video signal to the non-TB display. My guess is that the Apple TV Display can do this, but then again, if you look in a tear down, that display basically has a computer inside it.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Some devices, such as your LBD, can't sense that a non-thunderbolt display is next in the chain and won't send the pure video signal to the non-TB display. My guess is that the Apple TV Display can do this, but then again, if you look in a tear down, that display basically has a computer inside it.

That might be true for some devices (Apple's Thunderbolt display if I remember right), but this is on the companies web site:

It's even mini DisplayPort backward-compatible so you can, for example, connect your high-end LaCie 324i display and your Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series to your Mac.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10549

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Which model mini? Are you sure it is Thunderbolt? Perhaps it is only mDP. Is the Thunderbolt logo next to the connector on the mini?

Does the LBD work when it is the only device connected, with the display connected to the other display interface?

Sorry for the stupid question...:)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Which model mini? Are you sure it is Thunderbolt? Perhaps it is only mDP. Is the Thunderbolt logo next to the connector on the mini?

Does the LBD work when it is the only device connected, with the display connected to the other display interface?

Sorry for the stupid question...:)

No problem :) Yes, it is Thunderbolt. Bought yesterday at the Apple store and it reads the Thunderbolt drive just fine, unless daisy chained.

The monitor is a HP 3065.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I must be missing something.
How is a monitor that is not Thunderbolt, daisy chained to a Thunderbolt external drive?

***update***
checked reviews on the LBD on Apple's website and a person stated that he had problems connecting a TV/Display into the LBD and this combo would not work. Lacie support told him, this isn't supported and to only connect other Thunderbolt devices.

Last edited:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I must be missing something.
How is a monitor that is not Thunderbolt, daisy chained to a Thunderbolt external drive?

***update***
checked reviews on the LBD on Apple's website and a person stated that he had problems connecting a TV/Display into the LBD and this combo would not work. Lacie support told him, this isn't supported and to only connect other Thunderbolt devices.

The issue must be that it's a 30" monitor, since Lacie claims it works with a non-TB 24 inch monitor. My 30 incher is connected with a MCP+USB port. The way I have it now is that the USB is connected to the Mac while the MDP is connected to the TB output of the Lacie (as Lacie says one should do).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The issue must be that it's a 30" monitor, since Lacie claims it works with a non-TB 24 inch monitor. My 30 incher is connected with a MCP+USB port. The way I have it now is that the USB is connected to the Mac while the MDP is connected to the TB output of the Lacie (as Lacie says one should do).

Gotcha.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Perhaps there is a chance that something is wrong with the LaCie drive, or it could be the monitor.

Only way to confirm is to see if another device can be daisy chained from the drive.

So, if I have you right, the LBD works fine when connected directly to the mini, but when the monitor is connected with an mDP cable, the drive is not seen.

I see that the monitor only has DVI ports for connecting, so also suspect is the DVI to mDP cable you are likely using. The other thing to try is a DVI to HDMI cable/covertor, and use the HDMI port on the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.