LaCie little big disk daisy chained to 30" monitor -- problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Feb 1, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I have my 30" monitor attached to my Mac Mini through a LaCie little big disk. The display works well but I can't see the LaCie drive on the Mini! What is going on??

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Did you check System Profiler/Information? Disk Utility?

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, the LaCie TB drive doesn't show up. It shows up just fine if I plug it in directly to my Macbook Air or to the Apple TB display at home. But I can't do that at work because I only have a non-TB display and need a display to use the Mini.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I can't find the source for this, but I think I read it from an article here on MR a few months back.

Some devices, such as your LBD, can't sense that a non-thunderbolt display is next in the chain and won't send the pure video signal to the non-TB display. My guess is that the Apple TV Display can do this, but then again, if you look in a tear down, that display basically has a computer inside it.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

That might be true for some devices (Apple's Thunderbolt display if I remember right), but this is on the companies web site:

It's even mini DisplayPort backward-compatible so you can, for example, connect your high-end LaCie 324i display and your Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series to your Mac.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10549

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Which model mini? Are you sure it is Thunderbolt? Perhaps it is only mDP. Is the Thunderbolt logo next to the connector on the mini?

Does the LBD work when it is the only device connected, with the display connected to the other display interface?

Sorry for the stupid question...:)

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

No problem :) Yes, it is Thunderbolt. Bought yesterday at the Apple store and it reads the Thunderbolt drive just fine, unless daisy chained.

The monitor is a HP 3065.

8. mmomega, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I must be missing something.
    How is a monitor that is not Thunderbolt, daisy chained to a Thunderbolt external drive?

***update***
    checked reviews on the LBD on Apple's website and a person stated that he had problems connecting a TV/Display into the LBD and this combo would not work. Lacie support told him, this isn't supported and to only connect other Thunderbolt devices.

9. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The issue must be that it's a 30" monitor, since Lacie claims it works with a non-TB 24 inch monitor. My 30 incher is connected with a MCP+USB port. The way I have it now is that the USB is connected to the Mac while the MDP is connected to the TB output of the Lacie (as Lacie says one should do).

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Gotcha.

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Perhaps there is a chance that something is wrong with the LaCie drive, or it could be the monitor.

Only way to confirm is to see if another device can be daisy chained from the drive.

So, if I have you right, the LBD works fine when connected directly to the mini, but when the monitor is connected with an mDP cable, the drive is not seen.

I see that the monitor only has DVI ports for connecting, so also suspect is the DVI to mDP cable you are likely using. The other thing to try is a DVI to HDMI cable/covertor, and use the HDMI port on the mini.