LaCie Little Big Disk - SSD - Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gnagy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. gnagy macrumors regular

I ordered a LaCie Little Big Disk because I would like to buy a thunderbolt SSD drive. I bought it on the first day they were announced.

Well, today I got the following e-mail from Apple:
    "Apple no longer offers the H7115ZM/A (LACIE 250GB SSD LITTLE BIG DSK)
    that you requested. As a result, it has been removed from your order.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

This is just sad. I guess there's nothing on the market. I'm looking for a silent and super fast external drive. I'm going to boot an iMac from this drive. Any suggestions?

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

WTF? :confused:

What's THAT about. :(

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

Is that the exact text of the email they sent you? Because maybe it has something to do with the fact that the LaCie SSD is actually 240GB

4. gnagy thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point and interesting observation. It is the exact text they sent me, but I also can't find the hard drive on Apple's website anymore. Otherwise, I'd go ahead an order one that's 240 Gb.

5. simsaladimbamba

Here it is, but shipping time is 1 to 2 months.

6. gnagy thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered another one using that link. It's the same product number, so I bet the 250 is just some typo.

We'll see what happens. It's supposed to ship early December according to the confirmation e-mail. When I ordered the last one, the shipping time was also 1-2 months, so this only delayed it by a few weeks.

7. barefeats, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

write speed?

Notice these words on the Apple product page: "Reaching read speeds of up to 480 MB/s from a single unit."

There is nothing said about write speeds. LaCie's spec page indicates write speeds of 245MB/s:
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549

Based on the published pre-launch demo, the write speed for dual LDB TBs daisy chained is 352MB/s.

That's unfortunate. Compare those numbers to the Promise Pegasus X4 with four SSDs that our lab measured at 730MB/s.

8. gnagy thread starter macrumors regular

I would expect 4 SSDs to be faster than just 2 SSDs. Can you buy a Pegasus x4 with SSDs installed, or does one have to replace the magnetic drives after purchase?

For my intended use, that device is perfect. I reed it to be fast so I can boot Lion from it on multiple computers at different locations. I also need it to be small and portable.

9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

It seems they only sell models with the 4 bays occupied, so 1000$ for 4x1TB and the enclosure

10. watergun macrumors regular

Pegasus R4 is definitely NOT something I can call small and portable:D It's heavy.

11. BlueTide macrumors member

At those speeds, I'd like to see how the controller in the external case performs. SSDs are plenty fast as is TB, but there are other chips in those boxes too.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you have a thunderbolt Mac, and you connect a non-thunderbolt display, can you then not use thunderbolt for an external drive?

13. saovi macrumors newbie

That would work just fine. Remember that Thunderbolt has two lanes of bandwidth too so no worries.

I think it is rather suspicious that Apple would delete LaCie Little Big Disk SSD from its inventory listings. Thing is, its been since September 20, 2011 that it was initially announced and I don't see a clear way to purchase it .... unless it turns out to be vaporware which essentially explains everything.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have this setup with a CD 27". Works fine, (non-SSD version).

It's a very nice drive. Pricey. :rolleyes:

15. macrumorsgkl macrumors newbie

Lacie Little Big disk not recognised by mac book pro ?

I bought a new 1TB LAcie little big hard disk.When I connected it to my macbook pro using a thunderbolt cable, it is not showing up on my laptop ?Anybody know why this happens ?
    Thanks