Lacie Little Big Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GerritV, Aug 13, 2012.

1. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

After having trashed 2 Porsche Design Lacie drives for malfunctioning, I should have known better - but a few years ago I was again tempted by their aesthetics and bought a 1 TB Little Big Disk to use as my TimeMachine backup.

Today, for the second time in about a month, TimeMachine fails to access the drive and tells me to format it asap. I can still copy my backup files first, but we're talking 400 GB so that will take forever. After which I have to start building my new backup, again hours of working on a less responsive Mac.

Should I start looking out for a drive other than Lacie?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LaCie does not make hard drives, they make enclosures into which they stick whatever drives are available for cheap.

3. GerritV thread starter macrumors 65816

GerritV

Wow, firm and clear. And I think you're right.

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Last LaCie "enclosure" I bought had two Seagate drives in it which failed after one year. I now have two WD drives in it and they have been going strong for three years which is longer than any drive I have ever owned previously, even WD.

I bought it on the Apple website back in 2008, it was the LaCie two big triple. The enclosure gives me troubles sometimes but as long as I can finally get it to load the drives and not turn off the enclosure, it is fine for months on end. I think something in the enclosure is going bad but it's been like this for two years now.

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I have a LaCie Little Big Disk but I immediately replaced them with SSDs so I could upgrade my iMac without having to open it up. Has been working flawless since then.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Ive been a tester of several external HDDs. I can totally recomend:

Western Digital drives
    G-drive drives
    Transcend drives

7. carestudio macrumors 6502

The ones that I recommend are

CalDigit
    Lacie

We have several Caldigit drives here, including their USB3 & Firewire drives, and also USB3 and FireWire RAIDs. They have been working GREAT. Their support team is as great as their products.

a side note, caldigit is the first one supporting USB3 in mac osx.

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I switched to WD drives about 3 years ago after I got tired of constantly replacing my Seagate ones due to failure. Sure, they were under warranty, but it was still a hassle.

Haven't had one failure yet.

9. GerritV thread starter macrumors 65816

GerritV

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have a little big disk and as soon as it was delivered I stuck 2 brand new WD caviar drives in it. Works great.

11. Ericus Macabeus macrumors member

What is recommended for a rMBP for a USB 3.0 portable HD? I was just about to buy the LaCie Porche 1tb drive before I found this thread.
    Thanks.