Lacie Little Big Disk

GerritV

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 11, 2012
After having trashed 2 Porsche Design Lacie drives for malfunctioning, I should have known better - but a few years ago I was again tempted by their aesthetics and bought a 1 TB Little Big Disk to use as my TimeMachine backup.

Today, for the second time in about a month, TimeMachine fails to access the drive and tells me to format it asap. I can still copy my backup files first, but we're talking 400 GB so that will take forever. After which I have to start building my new backup, again hours of working on a less responsive Mac.

Should I start looking out for a drive other than Lacie?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Wow, firm and clear. And I think you're right.
Last LaCie "enclosure" I bought had two Seagate drives in it which failed after one year. I now have two WD drives in it and they have been going strong for three years which is longer than any drive I have ever owned previously, even WD.

I bought it on the Apple website back in 2008, it was the LaCie two big triple. The enclosure gives me troubles sometimes but as long as I can finally get it to load the drives and not turn off the enclosure, it is fine for months on end. I think something in the enclosure is going bad but it's been like this for two years now.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I have a LaCie Little Big Disk but I immediately replaced them with SSDs so I could upgrade my iMac without having to open it up. Has been working flawless since then.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Ive been a tester of several external HDDs. I can totally recomend:

Western Digital drives
G-drive drives
Transcend drives

carestudio

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
The ones that I recommend are

CalDigit
Lacie

We have several Caldigit drives here, including their USB3 & Firewire drives, and also USB3 and FireWire RAIDs. They have been working GREAT. Their support team is as great as their products.

a side note, caldigit is the first one supporting USB3 in mac osx.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I switched to WD drives about 3 years ago after I got tired of constantly replacing my Seagate ones due to failure. Sure, they were under warranty, but it was still a hassle.

Haven't had one failure yet.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
LaCie does not make hard drives, they make enclosures into which they stick whatever drives are available for cheap.
Yeah, I have a little big disk and as soon as it was delivered I stuck 2 brand new WD caviar drives in it. Works great.