Lacie Mini Disk Ethernet Configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gilmall, Dec 16, 2009.

1. gilmall macrumors newbie

I recently replaced my Netgear router with Apple's Airport Extreme Station. I had the Lacie ethernet mini disk connected to the Netgear ethernet port and it worked just fine.

With Apple's station, however, it just cannot see the mini disk. The green lights on both ends of the ethernet cable port are on. System Pref's Network shows the mini disk not connected or cable unplugged. Fiddling with it one day (mostly on the System Pref side) the disk appeared as an SMB in the Finder (as before) and I was able to access it. But just that one time only. Can't access it since.

Any ideas?

2. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

contact LaCie tech support, they're very good

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The problem appears to be that the Lacie drive requires the router to support uPnP and Apple's wireless routers don't support this feature. I will second the recommendation to contact Lacie support to see if there is a workaround. It looks like the USB connector on the drive is only to be used to connect to an external backup drive, so using the USB port to connect the drive to the AEBS and configure it as an airport disk probably wouldn't work.

4. gilmall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gents,

Called Lacie and they did figure it out. Unit's now working.