Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveybe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Greetings,

We are a small operation (less than 10 desktops) looking at a low-end NAS solution. I've narrowed it down to LaCie, Linksys, or Buffalo Technology's Linkstation. Am leaning toward the LaCie because of its high expandability (via FW port).

Thing is, while i found many vendor reviews, there are very few user reviews out there for the LaCie NAS models. There was only one at CNet, and they guy claimed that the disk failed within 3 months.

Disk platters will do that sometimes, i know, so i don't want to let one bad report bias me. Does anyone else have personal experience with this hardware? Thanks in advance.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
LaCie NAS - reliable?

I am just installing a Buffalo Linkstation for a customer on Tuesday, I can let you know how it goes. We have used a Tritton Industries 120 Gb NAS/Router in our office for almost a year with no problems other than the cheesy looking web-browser-based administration interface.

No feedback on the LaCie units, but have had some customers with severe problems with Snap! server appliances. (Snap! and LaCie were once both divisions of Quantum, which is now owned by Maxtor. Don't know what the respective ownership positions are today)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

daveybe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
I am just installing a Buffalo Linkstation for a customer on Tuesday, I can let you know how it goes.
Thanks, that'd be great! I am leaning away from the Linkstation right now for 2 main reasons:
1) user reviews say the security is not very granular - share level only, no folder level permissions
2) expandability through USB2/FW ports limited to one additional drive only

But i'm still open to debate, and i'd be very interested to hear your feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.