Lacie or other FW External Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joshualee90, May 10, 2009.

1. joshualee90 macrumors member

Im in need of an external HD. I am debating between two LaCie Models the LaCie Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton and the LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk. I need about 1 tb of space. The main media that will be held in the drive is videos and movies for school. I have looked into making my own but enclosures with firewire seem to be a lot more expensive. What im wondering really is if FW 400 will be fast enough to transefer large sized video files or if i should go with 800. I dont really want to go with eSATA unless there is a large difference. Any suggests in what to get is welcome. As for budget im looking to spend a little as possible but still get a quality drive. Im looking at about $300 CAD max.

Thanks

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

All I can say is that if you have the option to go with FW800, then you should take it. I use a G-Drive mini 500GB through FW800 and it is noticeably faster than my old external through FW400, although the drive in the enclosure was a faster model and would have had the advantage had it been placed in a FW800 enclosure. However, when you consider that most people use USB for connecting external drives, FW400 is certainly fast enough, although FW800 makes it much faster.

I've never used a LaCie drive so I can't comment on them, although my G-Drive (from G-Technologies) has been wonderful so far and I highly recommend their products, although they are a bit pricey.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Same. For their "professional line" 5200 rpm is a joke and 250 gig 7200 rpm drives wouldn't have been much more expensive. It should last me three years and once it falls out of the warranty period I can replace them with some SSDs that max out the FW bus.