Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
WD's for sure. LaCie doesn't make the HDDs, so you don't know which brand of drive is inside.
Better yet, you could buy a hard drive and enclosure yourself to make sure you like what you get. Fanless aluminum enclosures are better for sure.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
LaCie only makes drive enclosures and they get the drives they put in them from other manufacturers. My LaCie 2Big Triple drive came with two Seagare drives inside of it. The drives have been fine but the enclosure has been making some weird noises for the past six months and the drive is just over a year old.

This was my only LaCie purchase and I would not do it again.

I would either find another manufacturer that makes both the enclosures and the drives. Western Digital all the way.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18)

I'd go for the Western Digital .

LaCie is def. mixed:
This one is about LaCie...
Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
And most recently here

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I know lacie does not make the drives but I had a WD mybook with a WD drive in it and the enclosure failed on me ( not drive just the enclosure ) I only had it for about half a year.

I have had a 320gb Lacie drive with a seagate drive inside of it for 3 years now and not a single problem with it. I recently purchased a 1tb Lacie drive( the same one you have listed) with a seagate drive in it as well and not a single problem so far. The seagate drives seem to be working great! my Lacie drive enclosure is also much faster then my WD mybook even though both where using USB at the time and both had the same 7200rpm rating as well but the lacie was always much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.