LaCie Porsche Desktop Units

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by driftless, Oct 19, 2015.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I have a couple of LaCie drives, including the Porsche slimline 250GB SSD. I wish that they would bring out a 500GB SSD version of that or their Porsche Desktop series. It is the desktop versions that confuse me, LaCie has two different series of the Porsche Desktop unites, both have the same physical dimensions. One is offered in 3, 5 & 5GB version the other in in 3, 4, 5 & 8GB versions. Is there a difference between the two Porsche desktop series?

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Either way, now that LaCie is owned by Seagate, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

I really dislike posts like this. Anyone else have an answer to my question? Thank you in advance.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

One model is sold exclusively by the Apple Store, online and retail.

The other sold by other outlets, again online and retail.

There is a slight color difference as well as packaging.

Otherwise, identical, except for diffent capacity points.

As to the other comment, note well, Apple sells G-Tech, Seagate, and LaCie in their stores. Not WD. In most stores, there are more Seagate and LaCie choices.

Perhaps Apple knows something

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yeah, they sell the drives with the highest profit margin.

Personally, I would rather have an OWC enclosure with a Toshiba or HGST drive inside it than the style-over-substance of a LaCie Porsche with a lousy seagate drive inside.

6. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

There are only three major players that make spinning HDD's now, WD, Seagate and Hitachi. HDD's are commodity products now in a shrinking market. My iMac has the 1TB SSD in it and I have 2 LaCie SSD's. My take on HDD's is if there is going to be a failure it is likely to occur in the first month or so of use and then after 2-3 years of use and beyond. Reviews for all external drives are usually all over the place. The intended use for this drive is to archive all the sound and video clips that I use when making a video/film but not the final product. This will be an archival drive that is unlikely to be used to download from and it itself will be backed up. I am just fine tuning my workflow. I am considering only LaCie and G-Tech 5- 10TB drives and I am leaning towards LaCie. The Porsche Design series nicely on the bookcase where I have other drives, UPS, router, etc. I only expect to use this drive for a couple of years as I hope that by then large capacity SSD's will be available.

g4cube - I noticed the color variation along with a slight price difference which help prompt my question.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe Hitachi is now a subsidiary of WD, so that leaves us with everybody merged with WD or Seagate... but I totally agree with your point about hard drives being a commodity. Pick your interface then just grab the size you want in 2.5 or 3.5 inch and go with it IMO.

8. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, I forgot about Hitachi being part of WD. When I see HDD comparisons, such Backblaze's regular comparisons, I see Hitachi listed separately so it might still be run as a separate unit.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, I believe you are correct. They still seem to be selling under their own model numbers.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

It seems like, most of the time, the rotational drive will fail about one month after the warranty expires. So if you are only worried about a year of use, buy a one year warranty in the capacity you need. If you want a better quality/robust drive, buy one with a three or five year warranty in the size you want. There aren't many with 5 year warranties left. My WD Red Pros have been excellent drives. Seagate higher end haven't been bad either. I think the one year consumer oriented drives could be thought of as commodities.

11. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

ColdCase - good point about warranties. I think that I am going bite the bullet and order another RAID drive.