Lacie RAID Problem--Shows up as 2 separate HDs instead of a single RAID HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wildta, Jan 28, 2009.

1. wildta macrumors newbie

I have a Lacie ext hard drive with 2 x 250gb HD that were one RAIDed into a single 500gb HD. I ran this update Lacie firmware update:
    http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10053

And now my HD will only show up as two separate HDs of 250gb instead of a single RAID HD of 500gb.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thank you in advance!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I can't help your situation, but why would you want to set up a RAID 0? That's just asking for trouble. You're basically doubling your chances of a hard drive failure, and the data is totally gone if one of those drives fails...

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you checked the setup utility that came with it?
    Generally speaking, there should be a setting somewhere. Be warned though, you will probably lose the data. (I've not used lacie, but when something goes wrong with RAID0, you're toast). :(

Pro: speed
    Con: No redundancy, and single drive failure risk * # of drives = failure risk (RAID 0)

4. wildta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am fully aware of the increase in risk of data failure. I have no plans of putting important data so data failure shouldn't be a problem for me. Having one single drive of 500gb vs two separate 250gb drives would be more convenient for me.

I haven't been able to find any settings nor can I locate any setup utilities that came with the Lacie drive.

keywords:Lacie raid problem

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Had to ask. ;)

Unfortunately, you might have to try and ditch the update, or contact Lacie directly. :(

Where you having a specific issue prior to the update?

6. wildta thread starter macrumors newbie

Prior to the update it worked as a RAID without a hitch.

I figured someone would tell me the disadvantage of raid. ;) But now I hope someone can tell me a solution to this. ;)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I can handle the first part. The second, not so sure, beyond what I already mentioned.

RAID 0:
    Pros:
    increased capacity
    increased speed
    inexpensive, as it doesn't require a hardware RAID controller
    no minimum number of drives

Cons:
    No redundancy
    Failure rate is higher (number of drives * single drive failure rate)

So if any drive fails, the entire array is gone.

As far as the Lacie, you would need to restore the firmware to a previous version. Hopefully, the previous version is still available on their support site. If not, it may be best to contact them. They may even have a control utility available. (Not sure if they ever intended other possibilities other than RAID 0). But it would be capable of running the drives independently (as you discovered, perhaps by accident), or in RAID 1 as well.

Otherwise, you could could just use them independently.