LaCie Rugged HD upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by futurevibe, Mar 16, 2011.

1. futurevibe macrumors member

Hey,

I want to buy a portable hard drive to keep my iTunes library on for DJing with Tractor Pro on my MacBook. I really like the look of the LaCie Rugged but the largest capacity of these is 1TB. My iTunes library currently stands at almost 700GB. I'm sure i wont be long maxing out a 1TB drive as i mostly buy Wav files. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the HD in the LaCie Rugged? I'd like to replace it with a 2TB 7200rpm drive if possible.

Thanks.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

3. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks AppleNewton, that looks cool but the LaCie would probably suit me better for DJing i think. I'd like it to be as small as possible so if i could get a single 1.5TB or 2TB drive in the Rugged case that would be perfect for me.
    Has anyone else tried this?

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Might be faster to google than wait for someone here who has done it.

5. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

I spent all last night looking for some info on this but found nothing.

6. Zozo Calypso, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Zozo Calypso macrumors newbie

Yes you can, it has clips under the rubber sleeve that make it possible to open without any tools.

Inside you just have to be gentle pulling the HD out and reinstalling, there is plastic with foam pads wrapped around the HD that help with shock protection. Anyone with normal dexterity should be able to manage it.

Also once it's opened, any warranty you have is voided.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Have you checked out LaCie Rugged XL?

The regular Rugged only takes 2.5" drives as far as i know, and good luck getting a drive larger than 1TB that fits...