Lacie Rugged HD's.. Should I get FW or just USB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbrent89, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jbrent89 macrumors member

I am about to purchase the 250gig external HD from Lacie, and they come in 2 flavors, usb 2.0 & usb 2.0 FW800 FW400; since i only have a macbook i wont be using FW800 too much, but i have been hearing that its due for a speed increase.. is this software-side only? because then i would definatley like to future proof my HD; otherwise USB 2.0 is cheaper and faster (i beleive) than FW400... thanx

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

FireWire 400 is significantly faster in real-world speeds than USB 2.0, and far more reliable as well. I'd highly recommend getting a hard drive with FireWire, and the Lacie's are a good choice.

jW

3. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

+1 for Firewire. I have an external with both FW400 and USB 2.0. I have had it hooked up using each method and have seen much better results using firewire.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

I concur with Mal. I only purchase USB external drives if the price is significantly less for the same size, and then only reluctantly. FW 400 is MUCH faster than USB 2.0 in real world, sustained speeds.

Plus, all 2.5" external FW drives are bus powered, eliminating the need for a power brick. Most USB 2.0 drives are too, but FW has always proven more reliable.

5. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

sounds good, anyone know if the looming 800 increase to, i think it was 3.2g/s is software only? ive been trying to figure that out for awhile but the info is scarce

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get the FW Drive. FYI, Firewire 800 is a different plug type.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Firewire 400 is considerably faster in use than USB 2.0. I'd use it over USB 2.0 any day of the week.

FW800 is a totally different plug (9 pin vs 6 pin and a different shape) but there is a cable that allows you to plug a FW800 drive into a FW400 port an it operates at the lower 400 speed.

8. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

yea i know the difference between the two, FireWire is (or posibly already has but i dnt think so) slated for a significant speed increase and im just curious whether they are able to roll it out as a software update... i would assume yes just because otherwise it would be a little ridiculous with different drafts and such of the same FireWire 800

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No - FW3200 is new hardware. It will be backwards compatible with FW400 and FW800 but it's a totally new port.

Same thing with USB 3.0 when it comes out around 2010ish. New hardware but backwards compatible.

10. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

ah great thanks for enlightening me, coulda sworn 3200 was just gonna be a software update, but then i guess that doesnt really go with the whole numbering system :p th:apple:nx

11. barijazz macrumors 6502

12. andrewpoll macrumors newbie

Get the firewire for sure, even if you don't really need the extra speed it frees up one of your USB ports...