lacie rugged not so rugged?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ayres, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ayres macrumors regular

last week, i acquired a lacie rugged 1tb hd from the local apple store (usb 2.0, fw 400, fw 800 version). i decided on formatting two partitions, so two drives show up on my desktop when plugged it.

this morning, i began backing up my wife's iphoto folder to my lacie, left for breakfast, and when i returned, it didn't finish copying, prematurely ejected, and the lacie was very hot - as was the usb cable.

when i tried reconnecting the hd, only one of the partitions appears on the desktop - the one that i was NOT copying the iphoto folder to, which also happens to be my main partition. and now it will not reappear at all!

but in the disk utility, the lacie appears with the two partitions labeled underneath. however, only my smaller, secondary partition is selectable. the primary, larger partition is not selectable but is listed.

thoughts? this is very, very strange, and i'm sweating because i had just finished transferring all of my music to that partition. lacie tech service does not open until monday.

in the mean time, any suggestions? i'm also bummed because these lacie hds are supposed to be very reliable.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LaCie does not make hard drives, they make enclosures and stick whatever third party drive they can get the cheapest inside. All platter based hard drives are the same in terms of reliability.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I's No Consolation

But I was advised to wait a while for new externals by my Apple guru. As posted above Lacie don't make the drives, just the caddy. I'd be worried about that cable getting hot to. I'd return it for sure.

4. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies... yes, i did not choose my words well - i'm aware almost all hard drives are the same... yes, i am definitely returning this lacie, but my concern remains...

how the #@&% do i retrieve my data off that partition?!?! any ideas?

5. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

yep, totally corrupted... returned the hard drive to the apple store and let them have a go at it... i had bought a lemon.

6. gyorpb macrumors member

**** happens. Google "bath tub curve" for an explanation.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your partition got corrupted and hence it can't be mounted, but you can still see it in Disk Utility. This is normally a sign of impending catastrophic hard drive failure.