Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt (exchanging a HDD with SSD)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Morphix, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Morphix macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a SSD drive that I would like to use with my iMac. Could I buy a Lacie Rugged TH (1GB HDD version) and replace the HDD with my SSD drive? Would that work like that?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes ... that will work great! You can get refurb 1TB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt/USB3.0 drives for about $99 from MacMall. Then swap for a SSD and repurpose the hard drive. Great little enclosure. What SSD are you using ... don't want to overpower it with an older high-power SSD of 500GB or more. Newer ones should work fine.

3. Morphix thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a OCZ Vertex 4 M 2,5" SSD 512 GB (2012). Would that work??

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Personally, I doubt it. I have two LaCie Rugged SSD Drives - my older drive uses a Sandisk U100 and my newer one uses Samsung PM851 - both have far lower idle power requirements than your Vertex. Read up on Newegg's forums for comments by OCZ indicating the Vertex 4 "maybe" not working in "some" external enclosures for wont of insufficient power. IOW, it reads like bus power in the Rugged enclosure (and other bus-powered enclosures) is insufficient for your SSD.

So, good luck...

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If power issues are a concern, consider the Delock 42490 2.5" Thunderbolt enclosure. It is AC-powered. I've been booting OS X off of one with a Samsung 840 SSD for the past 10 months and it's been flawless. They run about $80-$100.

6. wacomme macrumors regular

I can get a refurb 1TB LaCie Thunderbolt enclosure from MacMall for $80. Is there any problem (heat, speed, etc.) with exchanging the 1TB HD with a Samsung 500GB 850EVO SSD?

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have several of those refurbished LaCie "Rugged" enclosures that I loaded with 840 EVO 500GB SSDs and am pleased with their performance. You should have no problems with 850 EVO as it also is very low power.