Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I have a Lacie Thunderbolt SSD USB3.0 256GB hard drive, the one with the bright orange bumper to protect it from falls!

The USB3.0 lead i've been using has been a little funny lately, occasionally saying 'device disconnected' when nothing has been moved or unplugged.

This morning it happened, but the hard drive just wasn't detected by the OS (10.8.4) again.

Whether I try connecting it with the thunderbolt or USB 3.0 lead it doesn't register in finder or Disk Utility.

Taking the drive apart (interestingly, the do not break this seal or warranty is void sticker was cleanly cut already) and connecting it to a USB 2.0 external caddy. The following message appears.

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.
Initialize, Ignore or Eject."

I chose ignore. Both Disk Warrior 4.4 and Data Recovery 3 can't actually see the drive so can't do anything with it.

I followed terminal 'diskutil' prompts and managed to get it listed as attached but no other commands would work as it said 'no in/out' or words to the effect that the drive couldn't be read or written too?

Can you think of anything I haven't tried to save the data?

----------

I meant to add there is power going to the drive and the access light is blinking!

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
You have done more than a lot of folks could manage. I would have to say it may be time for professional data recovery services. Here is a link to the service we offer. http://www.d2recovery.com/

I have a Lacie Thunderbolt SSD USB3.0 256GB hard drive, the one with the bright orange bumper to protect it from falls!

The USB3.0 lead i've been using has been a little funny lately, occasionally saying 'device disconnected' when nothing has been moved or unplugged.

This morning it happened, but the hard drive just wasn't detected by the OS (10.8.4) again.

Whether I try connecting it with the thunderbolt or USB 3.0 lead it doesn't register in finder or Disk Utility.

Taking the drive apart (interestingly, the do not break this seal or warranty is void sticker was cleanly cut already) and connecting it to a USB 2.0 external caddy. The following message appears.

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.
Initialize, Ignore or Eject."

I chose ignore. Both Disk Warrior 4.4 and Data Recovery 3 can't actually see the drive so can't do anything with it.

I followed terminal 'diskutil' prompts and managed to get it listed as attached but no other commands would work as it said 'no in/out' or words to the effect that the drive couldn't be read or written too?

Can you think of anything I haven't tried to save the data?

----------

I meant to add there is power going to the drive and the access light is blinking!

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the link. I just sent it back to lacies European repair centre in France. Though I have a bad feeling they won't repair / replace it. When I took the drive out the casing the 'do not tamper with' seal over the sata port was already broken, they could easily use that to refuse a working drive. Then I'd be out not only the hassle of loosing the data but the cost of an expensive drive.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Just to update anyone following this. Lacie repaired it (new logic board and drive) and returned it in just overa a week including a complimentary ipad case and note asking me to forgive them.

It's been fine since - though it's gets wicked warm connected via thunderbolt. I thought SSDs were meant to run cool? Still, as long as it works :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.