Lacie Support

Discussion in 'iMac' started by police340, May 22, 2012.

1. police340 macrumors regular

After receiving my second Lacie Thinderbolt drive the other day. I immediately set to opening it and replacing the two 500Gb drives with two SSD drives. Now I know this will void the warranty but I am fairly adept with the hardware and did it with the first Lacie drive with no problems. I get the first drive out with no problem. The second drive is also attached the the circuit board with four screws. Took three of them off and get to the last one. It would not budge and i was starting to strip the head, making that useless. I retrieved a small vicegrip and tried to unscrew it. This was also very hard to do and I was worried about breaking the head off the screw.

Ultimately it did come out but was twisted in the process. The screw was stripped at bottom and probably the mounting that it was screwed into. I was upset about this and contacted Lacie. They said that there are no user servicable parts inside and I voided the warranty. I tried to explain to them that I never would have known there was a problem until I had to have it serviced, say in the case of a bad drive. They would have had the same problem I did in replacing the drive. I think they should sned me a new drive as one screw receptacle is stripped out and useless. What do you guys think? Lacie is not budging!

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

You voided the warranty, full stop. If that's their policy there's nothing you can do about that.

But look at the situation like this: Three screws will hold an SSD in place just fine. It's relatively light and doesn't vibrate like an HDD. Screw Lacie's warranty policy (pun intended) and be happy with the unit.

3. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree its their policy, the point is I never would have known about a problem they caused until I had to have it repaired and if it was out of warranty it could be expensive. The problem is actually with the 500Gb hard drive I took out. I was able to mount the SSD fine, minus one stripped screw.