Lacie TB using monoprice cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jwjsr, Apr 5, 2013.

1. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

would this cable work with my lacie LaCie 2TB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt - Refurbished (9000107-R) if i hook it up to my apples TB display's thunderbolt out? I would think if tried to use it in the middle of my mini to TB display at the very least i would lose audio to the TB display.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=2

Mono price chat replied "As long as that device can work fine with a cable that supports displayport v1.1, it should work well."

one question would be -is "displayport v1.1" supported by the Lacie and the TB display?

Next question even if it would work off the TB display's thunderbolt out port is it worth save 20 to 30 bucks and not be able to use the Lacie in the middle of the mini to TB display

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

No, because that is a DisplayPort cable. You need a Thunderbolt cable for a hard drive.

The plug is the same, but the function is completely different.

3. jwjsr thread starter macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Thanks,and good I don't need to fret about that anymore

4. jwjsr thread starter macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Ok, I got the Apple TB cable. Would it be best to hook it up to the TB out port of the Apple TB display or daisy chain in the middle of the mini and the TB display?

Also, since its a refurb with 90 day warranty I'd like to know how to test and stress it a bit?