LaCie Thunderbolt RAID failed to Mount but I can access it by Disk Utility. Help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aronis, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Aronis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was doing some work today and my external RAID reached the FULL POINT. After that it no longer showed up on my desktop and in the Finder it's name was GREY and I could not access it via the finder.

I rebooted and it was still not present. The Lacie RAID monitor Ap still shows that both drives are green.

From the disk utility I could see the drive and view it with the finder. I can access the files, write to it, etc, but cannot get it to show up in the finder list nor on the desktop. I ran disk repair and disk verify and did not get any errors.

If I go to the Terminal and run diskutil list it shows on the list but only see this information:

diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 250.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 2 2.0 TB disk1s2
    /dev/disk3
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk3
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
    2: Apple_RAID 3.0 TB disk3s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk3s3
    /dev/disk4
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk4
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
    2: Apple_RAID 3.0 TB disk4s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk4s3
    /dev/disk5
    0: Apple_HFS LaCie Mirror Raid *3.0 TB disk5

It's very strange. It shows as listed in /dev/disk4 and /dev/disk5. I have not done this list before so I don't know what should be listed when it was normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

OS X Version 10.8.2
    IMAC 27 i7 etc.
    No other apps running in the background
    Thunderbolt adapter is working fine as I can access, mount, read/write to another thunderbolt drive.
    I have had the LACIE RAID for about a year, it has been fine, no strange noises,

2. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll add more.

I was able to access my home Mac from my office Mac today. The list of drives includes the LaCie RAID and I can access all the files remotely.

This is just strange.

I shut down the Mac Mini which had been connected at home via my home network to that same Mac and rebooted the 27 iMac with the RAID and still the RAID will not mount and show on the desktop. I was transferring a file from the Mac Mini to the LaCie RAID when I got the error "Disk Full" and at the same time the 27 iMac was writing a file to it too (not the exact moment but some time in the past hour as I was ripping a DVD on the iMac and writing to the RAID as the output destination).

I suspect when the Disk got FULL something screwed up. The disk utility was run 4 or 5 times to verify the disk both as a RAID and as individual "Slices" and NO error was found. I moved about 1/2 of the files off the RAID and am ready to move the rest and reformat it to start from scratch. The larger files are my TimeCapsule back up and my Aperture Vault. Those are hard to move, very large files LOL.

Waiting on some input. Thank you,

Mike

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Looks like the Finder needs some free space in order to mount the drive.

Are you able to open a Terminal Window, and then try manually mounting the drive using Terminal shell commands?

Or if you can access via the network, copy a few files off to another drive, and then delete the files to free up some space.

I've found that Finder gets wonky when there is little free space.

4. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input.

I cleared 500 gb From the 3 TB LaCie RAID.

My Boot Drive is a 250 GB SDD with 1.2 gb free
    My Second internal HD is 2 TB with 1.5 tb Free

It's the strangest thing. The RAID is otherwise fully functional. I can even access it from the internet.

What I am after now is to determine if the LaCie is dying, if I can figure out that for sure then at least I can send it back for a repair/replace. If its just a strange software glitch then I was hoping to find a quick logical reproducible solution.

Mike

5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility is not able to detect and repair all disk problems.

What I recommend:
    - get a more robust disk repair utility like Disk Warrior to see if that will help, or
    - try a demo copy of Data Rescue from www.prosofteng.com to see if it can recover the files; may be possible since Disk Utility can see the drives making up the RAID
    - or get a drive to copy over all the files you are able to from the remote network method of accessing.

Something is obviously corrupted. I don't think there is anything actually wrong hardware wise.

If you were to send to LaCie, they will reformat your drive anyway, and not preserve anything already on the drive.

After you recover the important files from the drive, you will need to repartition and reformat the drive, starting over from scratch.

I've had to do this when I first completely filled a Mac volume. It wasn;t a RAID volume; just an ordinary drive.

6. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have been removing all important files. The largest is the Time Machine backup.

I can still access it via Time Machine and it still does the backups.

It's the strangest thing.

I am going to reformat it and restart the time machine backup process.

It's not a real big deal as I have multiple back ups of all my photos, video, movies, documents etc....

Mike

7. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

Diskwarrior appears to be fixing it!

I started it up and it scanned for disks, found the RAID and stated "This Disk does not appear on the desktop."

Thank you for the input.....It appears to be $100 well spent....fingers crossed as it is still running....

Mike

8. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

screen shot...

Attached Files:

9. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

IT"S FIXED!

Thank you DiskWarrior.....you were my only hope....LOL....cheap Star Wars reference.

Mike

10. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Mike,

Good to hear that Disk Warrior had saved the day.

It's interesting that Apple's own Disk Utility First Aid did not detect any errors, but Disk Warrior did.

This is a testament to Disk Warrior's value.

I am glad that it all worked out for you.

11. Aronis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.