LaCie USB 3 2Big 6TB external drive... problems, please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anim8or, Jul 20, 2012.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I just got my 6TB LaCie External RAID drive with USB 3 PCI card and I am having a really difficult time getting it to work consistently.

Some days its seems to plug in and show up in OS X no problem but today i have had it working most of the day then i went out for a few hours and came home turned on my mac and the damn thing just refuses to show up.

If i connect it to the USB 2 ports on my mac it shows but it just refuses to show in the USB ports on the LaCie PCI card that came with it.

All ht derivers for the card are up to date and the OS is up to date too....

Anyone else have experience with this drive and card combo?

Help Please....

2. pepatrick macrumors member

I purchased a Lacie 2big 1tb raid. Found one used on ebay for $250 and pulled the 1tb drives out. I has 2 2tb WD Black drives and used those instead. So far no problems on the mac with USB 3.0. I have not used it on a PC yet so I cant speak to that. The 2big is insanely fast in RAID 0 mode..

3. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Thanks for the reply, are you using a Mac Pro with the LaCie PCI USB 3 card?

If so can you test something for me...

Unmount your drive, put the mac pro to sleep, then wake the mac pro... once awake can you get the drive to mount again?

4. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Contacted LaCie and they told me it was due to the drive having a built in ECO mode that could not be turned off and that there was currently no solution.

What a farce! I have initiated a return of both the drive and the PCI card as I cannot afford to have to keep rebooting just to get the hard drive to mount and be recognised.

Shame.