Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2018
SF bay area
I got this 4 Terribite LaCie drive says LRDOPS3 & sn# NL2A24HW on bottom. Came with a cord that says USB 10 SS. Plugged it into TB port on back of Imac Pro and it took 12 hours to copy a 1.01 Terrabite folder from a partition on the LaCie 2Big 8. When I got this mac I also got a the LaCie 2Big 8 2 sled drive box and I copied the same folder from a 2 Terribite Seagate drive in my old 4 sled Firm Teck SATA box hooked up to the USB input of the LaCie 2Big box via the esata to usc superspeed cable adapter in about 1 hour. What's wrong with this picture, if it's that slow why did it come with the SS USC type C cable and connectors??? I am surely doing something wrong or is it just this drive that slow???

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Transfer speeds also depend on what you're copying, i.e. many small files are much slower than few large files.

I doubt that the new drive is the bottle neck here. If doing the calculation, it looks more or less like USB 2 speed. So it is probably due to how you hooked up the source drive.

You can run BlackMagic to do a short speed test on both source and target drive to find the problem.

vanman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2018
SF bay area
Tried 2 other connections, same result. It is labeled as a USB 3 on packaging, but preforms at a USB 2 rate, huge difference. Am going to wipe it and return both. First bad experience with a LaCie product ever and I've got many.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Well, without any concrete product link or the willingness to run a simple benchmark on the drives, it will be very hard to help you here anyway. ;-)

I somehow doubt that the product is broken at the moment.

vanman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2018
SF bay area
"Tried 2 other connections, same result." I used a stopwatch on both tries and my math says 50 to 54 MB/sec if you want a number.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
You are doing tests with lots of unknowns. It is just not suitable to find the problem.

BlackMagic is a free download, everyone uses it, and after a minute you see what the drive is up to. Do it. Really. On *both* devices.

Also, you should tell us what speed you actually expect (and what kind of data you are transferring).

I mean I don't care if you are disappointed and send it back, but I would make sure that you are working on the correct problem, or the next device will behave just the same. So far, it is just impossible to tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.