Lacie USB Driver Incompat w/ USB Soundsticks??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LeicaM8, Apr 13, 2013.

1. LeicaM8 macrumors member

LeicaM8

I'm using a Lacie USB Driver to enable my USB 3.0 Card to work, but when the driver is installed my USB Soundsticks aren't seen anymore.

Situ is same in Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion. It's not the presence of the card causing it, I believe, because when card is installed w/o a driver the Soundsticks are seen by the system just fine. Makes me think it's something about the Lacie Drive.

Puzzling.

R.W.

2. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi, this seems to be related to your other forum thread regarding the USB card which, I felt, was reasonably worked through by you and other users. Is this second thread still an issue?

~mn, LaCie

3. LeicaM8 thread starter macrumors member

LeicaM8

I forgot starting this thread!
    Thx for responding. The Soundsticks did start working again with the installation of a different card driver. So, this issue is resolved.
    --
    The USB 3.0 card? Well, it's far from sorted out. Technically it's functioning, but is capping all devices to usb 2.0 equivalent data transfer rates.
    --
    I'm flummoxed at this point.
    --
    Is lacie still selling and supporting USB 3.0 Cards for the Mac? I couldn't find one on the website anywhere.

Richard in Michigan

4. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi, I feel like I have to give the long version answer here...

No, we don't sell the cards anymore and took down our drivers because OSX and Windows both have native USB 3.0 support. When OSX did not have native support and all the various manufacturers were putting out PCI cards, each manufacturer had to write their own drivers. A trend to only fully support your own products ends up occurring. Basically its normal that non-LaCie devices are running at 2.0 speeds if you're using our old drivers.

I cannot promise that Apple's native drivers will recognize the chipset on the PCI card and if not, you're basically stuck with the drivers you have. We ceased development on them and won't be releasing updated drivers without the limitation to only fully support LaCie devices on USB 3.0. I know that isn't a very satisfactory answer and I personally disagree with our decision to drop the product line.

In short, it sounds like the card is behaving normally. If possible, use the onboard USB 3.0 for data transfer and the PCI card for other devices.

You can also give our support a call, we offer lifetime support on all products - even discontinued ones - and we may be able to help find more solutions for you. We're at 503-844-4500 (USA) or www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie