LaCie versus Pegasus thunderbolt drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Sep 23, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I can't find many reviews of the two drives and wonder what their drawbacks and assets are. I personally don't care about size of the drive and just want something that I can use in the long run. It looks like the Pegasus has hard drive bays, which suggests that it can be user serviced or upgraded with better drives in the future.

Of course it's twice the price, but also for twice the amount of storage.

If you've seen any good reviews or own a Pegasus, please post.

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

More importantly the Promise allows you to set up a Raid5 array which will give you speed and redundancy. With the LaCie you need to choose between Raid 0 speed or Raid 1 redundancy. Personally I think there both overpriced. I'm holding out for a TB enclosure from OWC.

4. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I went with the Pegasus R4

I was looking at both as well and finally purchased a Promise Pegasus R4.

Here's why:

*It can run multiple Raid settings.
    *The drives are user swappable.
    *You get 500MB/s of speed in Raid 5 (good for data protection)
    *You can upgrade the drives to 2TB drives or even SSD's (when the price goes down of course)

The only drawback is the price. At $999 you get 4-1TB drives.

I justified the Pegasus with this...

A Drobo S-Costs $650 and you still have to buy Drives for it! 4-1TB drives=$350...$1000 for a setup that will only get you speeds of 30-40MB/s!

I bought both a Pegasus and a Drobo and tried this for the past few weeks, while it pained my pocket book, it was the only way to find out for myself which one was better for me.

I sent the Drobo-S back on Monday and I love the Pegasus R4!:)

5. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

It would be helpful to know what you want it for. If its just for backup then wait for Seagate or WD to come up with much cheaper drives which should happen by end of year from what they are saying.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sure: for storing photos and HD videos that I access/edit frequently, as well as for backups. Also to store large data files (several gigs each) that I use in my work (they are often read and written to).